Cube........help please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hoots1971

Regular
Hi, I am looking to do some weekend touring mainly along NCN2 away the moment. I have looked around and am keen on buying a new Cube Travel through the cycle to work scheme from Evans. Unfortunately Evan's don't stock the bike but can do a special order if they get the product details from Cube.......and here lies the problem. I have rung, emailed and messaged on FB and Evan's have also tried but have had no response from Cube!!

I am contemplating whether I need to choose something different - any thoughts, I like the Cube as it has the panniers dynamo lights, flat bar etc all integrated but open to suggestions. Budget is around £800.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Try Rutland Cycles

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Can you not get the product details off the cube site if that's all Evans needs? Otherwise I'd give the middle finger to Cube if they can't be bothered, there must be other alternatives out there with that spec.

OP
OP
hoots1971

hoots1971

Regular
I was hoping to use the cycle to work scheme and also like the idea of having a physical shop to set up / maintain etc. I've been looking at other bikes but cannot find one with spec, I could get it built but separately costs a lot more.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
The Cube bike is a typical German trekking bike being fully equipped with lights, mudguards, rack, prop stand, etc.

A very near equivalent would be a Radon bike from German online retailer Bike Discount.

Only snags are they are not available from shops in the UK or, almost certainly, on Cycle to Work.

I'd have thought a bike with trekking spec must be available from one of the many brands supplied by Evans.

An assistant there ought to know or be prepared to do the legwork to find one.

https://www.bike-discount.de/en/shop/trekking-bike-20575/l-24

si_c

Guru
Just taken a look, the bike looks OK, but it's very heavy, and the Shimano dynamo hubs they are using are the low-end ones with a fair amount of drag on them.

Have you considered looking at an alternative - for example one of the Pinnacle hybrids and adding in a dynamo lighting system? You are looking at about £200 to add dynamo lighting to an existing bike - so depending on the particular model you were looking at it might work out about even.

In terms of the build of other hybrid bikes - they will be comparable and the Pinnacle ones at Evans are usually excellent value for money, you should be able to add a Rack, Panniers and mudguards easily enough within your voucher limit and following that you just need the lighting kits - Spa Cycles would be my goto here (see this bundle as an example).

D

Deleted member 26715

There's plenty of Cube dealers around the country & lots that will do various cycle to work schemes, where are you based?

OP
OP
hoots1971

hoots1971

Regular
Just taken a look, the bike looks OK, but it's very heavy, and the Shimano dynamo hubs they are using are the low-end ones with a fair amount of drag on them.

Have you considered looking at an alternative - for example one of the Pinnacle hybrids and adding in a dynamo lighting system? You are looking at about £200 to add dynamo lighting to an existing bike - so depending on the particular model you were looking at it might work out about even.

In terms of the build of other hybrid bikes - they will be comparable and the Pinnacle ones at Evans are usually excellent value for money, you should be able to add a Rack, Panniers and mudguards easily enough within your voucher limit and following that you just need the lighting kits - Spa Cycles would be my goto here (see this bundle as an example).
I appreciate your response / advice, drag was a concern for me but having never used dynamos before took advice and was told that it was not too much of an issue any more. I don't intend riding much at night and have z set of rechargeable Moons I could use so may think about dropping the dynamos. I don't know much about the Pinnacles, what would be a similar / decent spec that would handle touring
I'm assuming I'd have to add £200 for rack, guards and stand!

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I had a bike with a cheap Shimano dynamo.

No noticeable drag.

Dropping it from your spec would simplify things.

Your other accessories need not cost £200.

I had decent service from a £10 'no name' rack, add about £15 for a prop stand, and maybe £30 for mudguards.

vickster

Legendary Member
Look at the Whyte R7 range of flat bar bikes? Cycle surgery sell them
Evans sell Pinnacle
Are you looking for a commuter as its on C2W, so something nimble for traffic?

Top Bottom