Cube RA 1.9 - Tubeless possible?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex321

Veteran
Does anybody know if it is possible to set up this wheelset tubeless?

I had the bike, with this set fitted, last Thursday, and have already had two punctures (continental grandsport race tyres). I definitely want different tyres with better puncture protection, but if it is feasible, I think I'd prefer to go tubeless.

I can't find anything online to indicate whether that is possible or not with these wheels, so des anybody have any experience?

Sharky

Guru
Frequency of punctures is unpredictable, but the cause should always be established. Having only had them fitted a few days ago, I would be suspicious of the fitting or the cause not being removed.
Try and stick with your current setup for a bit longer. Tubeless tyres have a huge following now, but there is a significant learning curve to be overcome before achieving the ideal setup and on the road maintenence.

OP
OP
A

Alex321

Veteran
I know the 2nd one was a piece of flint, because I found it still stuck in the tyre.

And I'd done about 45 miles before the first one, so I don't really think it was the initial set up. The roads round here aren't great from that POV. On my previous bike (a hybrid), I had been puncturing almost weekly in the Autumn until I switched from cheapo Schwalbes to Marathon plus last November, and I've only had one puncture since (in a bit over 2000 miles).

But I'm not sure I want to go with those on a much lighter and more responsive bike. I didn't really notice the extra weight or rolling resistance on a 13.9Kg Hybrid.

T4tomo

Guru
I had the bike, with this set fitted, last Thursday, and have already had two punctures (continental grandsport race tyres). I definitely want different tyres with better puncture protection, but if it is feasible, I think I'd prefer to go tubeless.

grandsports aren't the best protected. I had some for winter road use on my gravel bike and suffered a couple of flint invasions.. if you can stretch to it Conti 4 seasons are much tougher yet still light and roll well.

if its a road bike and 25mm tyres, then tubeless isn't the answer, you need to be on fat enough rubber to run at a lowish pressure, otherwise you et all sorts of issues - just read some of the tubeless threads on here. best off leaving tubeless to the MTB world, and just running decent tyres on the road.

pawl

Legendary Member
Does anybody know if it is possible to set up this wheelset tubeless?

I can't find anything online to indicate whether that is possible or not with these wheels, so des anybody have any experience?

I swear by the Michelin endurance range .Not had a puncture last year. So far this year puncture free
Tubeless to much faff for me I do only ride road or tracks like the Monsal Trail on 23 c

OP
OP
A

Alex321

Veteran

grandsports aren't the best protected. I had some for winter road use on my gravel bike and suffered a couple of flint invasions.. if you can stretch to it Conti 4 seasons are much tougher yet still light and roll well.

if its a road bike and 25mm tyres, then tubeless isn't the answer, you need to be on fat enough rubber to run at a lowish pressure, otherwise you et all sorts of issues - just read some of the tubeless threads on here. best off leaving tubeless to the MTB world, and just running decent tyres on the road.

I know there are quite a few who don't agree with tubeless for road bikes, but also quite a few who do, and most tyre manufacturers now make tubeless road tyres.

It is a road bike, but with 28mm tyres. A Cube Attain GTC Race. I've seen some poor comments about the conti 4 seasons though

I'll keep riding what I have for a few weeks, but if I'm puncturing too often I'll definitely want to change to something else. I just wanted to know whether tubeless was even an option for those rims.

I won't be changing the wheels any time soon, as even spending over £2k on the bike was quite hard to get past my wife, so a few hundred on a new wheelset soon after just won't wash.

OP
OP
A

Alex321

Veteran
More or less any bike wheel can be set up tubeless, although Cube say your wheels are 'tubeless ready' which should simplify the process a little.

Tyres marked 'tubeless' are also worth having, because most tyres are not air tight, meaning the sealant has more work to do.

https://www.cube.eu/en/2022/bikes/urban-mobility/fitness/sl-road/cube-sl-road-pro-fe-lunarngreen/
Thank you very much. That is something I had been searching for and not found. Not the same bike, but the same wheels.

Top Bottom