Cube Travel / Cube Touring Bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Serge

Serge

Über Member
No way!
They specifically say no animal/human carriage.

Search around, there's quite a few reviews online.
I will do, it looks a good bit of kit.

OP
OP
Serge

Serge

Über Member
Had a look at the website and, with current exchange rates, it comes in at about £215. I'm not sure if it's worth that sort of outlay.

Anyway, I think I may have come to a decision.

Im going to buy myself a decent second hand road bike for the commute and blasting about at weekends, then use my beloved 90's MTB as the base for a "build your own tourer" project (my girlfriend's going to be so pleased!).

You guys and guyesses are so going to regret suggesting this, prepare to be inundated with daft questions on a regular basis!

Wish me luck!

Had a look at the website and, with current exchange rates, it comes in at about £215. I'm not sure if it's worth that sort of outlay.

Anyway, I think I may have come to a decision.

Im going to buy myself a decent second hand road bike for the commute and blasting about at weekends, then use my beloved 90's MTB as the base for a "build your own tourer" project (my girlfriend's going to be so pleased!).

You guys and guyesses are so going to regret suggesting this, prepare to be inundated with daft questions on a regular basis!

Wish me luck!

I'm back with an alternative....;-)

You've said you don't want to touch your bike.... so don't!

You already commute on a MTB, so keep doing that, on your own bike.

Instead pick up a second MTB, as close as possible in spec to your own. And kit that one out for your touring.
That way, you save on spares, any mechanical knowledge you gain is directly transferable to your original bike, and when you go to cycle to work some morning and discover you've a flat, you just grab the wheel from the other bike.

Worst case scenario and you make a total mess of it, you'll still have your original bike intact.

And if further down the road you decide that you do want to tour on your original bike, the racks etc. will transfer over easily.

Interesting suggestion hobbes. I'm all for simplicity in cycling (have been working towards it myself) and having bikes with common trued and tested bits.

I commend your suggestion to the OP for seruious consideration.

And if shopping for sensible bits, check out those sensible Germans Rose bikes - postage charges for bits (but free plus £85 or so) but easy to offset with savings - and many of their sensible bits are no longer available from the likes of chain reaction/wiggle.

OP
OP
Serge

Serge

Über Member
OK, I've taken the plunge and embarked on the first stage of the project. I've bought myself a cheap road bike!

I'm hopefully picking it up tomorrow (just the six hour round trip to fetch it!) so I'll post some piccys as soon as I'm back.

OP
OP
Serge

Serge

Über Member
Just driven 119 miles from Nuneaton to mid Wales to pick up the bike and he tells me he was in Nuneaton yesterday and could've dropped it off! Bugger!

It's a beauty though, well worth the trip. Pictures to follow.

OP
OP
Serge

Serge

Über Member
Here it is, it's hardly been used.

DSC_0891.JPG

He even threw in the front and rear lights, bottle cage, phone holder and saddle bag. Not bad for £165 methinks.

OP
OP
Serge

Serge

Über Member
One slight drawback I've just noticed. It was advertised as a 54cm frame, it's actually a 56cm. Apart from the seat being about an inch too high, it feels pretty comfortable, at least I can stand with both feet on the floor without crushing my scrogs.

Good luck with the new bike! And with kitting out the old one!

I was down in Belgium at the weekend and rented an Extrawheel. Did my damnedest to throw it off but couldn't shake it loose! Took it offroad on MTB paths through forests beside Brussels, through the suburbs of Brussels and on regular roads & cycle paths. It really is a great bit of kit, once evenly packed.
The only disadvantages were that you can't easily push your bike backwards and once on a very steep hill with loose stones and rocks I had to push up. With negligible weight on the front of the bike that was next to impossible. Bags off the trailer and onto the front rack and all was well again.

Top Bottom