Cube Travel / Cube Touring Bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Serge

Über Member
A little bit of history:

I've been cycling to work for the last three years now after a fifteen year hiatus and have been truly bitten by the cycling bug.

I started out on a Giant FCR3 hybrid inherited from my late step-father which was subsequently stolen from a busy, town centre bike stand (they must have had some balls to whip out a set of bolt cutters in such a busy location).

Since then, I've been using my old GT Timberline MTB that I bought in 1997 as a commuter down the canal towpath.

After I started a new job in April 2017, I became aware of the cycle to work scheme so started feverishly hunting for hybrid bikes online similar to my original Giant. It was at this point I fell in love with the Cube range and set my heart on the Cube Nature Pro in reef blue / flash orange (there's no accounting for taste is there!).

Unfortunately / fortunately, the company I was working for at the time lost the contract and the new company were not part of the cycle to work scheme. Having a poor credit score, this meant any purchases would have to be cash.

In the meantime, I attempted to cycle down the Oxford canal from Nuneaton to Oxford on my GT. After battling through three inches of mud for about twenty five miles, I eventually gave up and finished the ride on busy A roads. After that debacle I decided I was going to stick to roads and get myself a decent road bike.

I then started reading the Easy As Riding A Bike blog and realised cycling didn't have to involve pouring yourself into Day-Glo condoms and wearing polystyrene hats to race at 30mph to stay ahead of the motor traffic.

This is when I decided a touring bike with all the bells and whistles may be the thing for me.

Which, rather convolutedly, brings me to the reason for this post.

Bearing in mind my previously admitted Cube fetish, I've managed to whittle down my choices to the Travel or the Touring. I've read quite a few of your posts and was quite determined not to have front shocks but I've found a great deal on a Touring EXC 2017 with front Suntour suspension but I'm still conflicted.

I could still get the fixed fork Travel for an extra £85, but that would mean having the Tektro brakes rather than Shimano and would only save me half a kilo in weight.

I'm leaning towards the Touring as we stand but I'd appreciate everyone's input.

Many thanks in advance guys and guyesses.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
I like the Cube bikes too and I think that the spec is normally higher than other similar generic bikes. I own a Cube Acid which I tour off road on. The Ridgeway being a favourite, but there are good routes around me on the Mendips.

I can’t talk for the bikes you are interested in specifically, but I would emphatically say that (in my opinion) front suspension is not required. It adds weight and is an extra thing that could break or give you problems when ‘in the field’.

Congrats on bitten by an amazing bug.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Serge

Serge

Über Member
I like the Cube bikes too and I think that the spec is normally higher than other similar generic bikes. I own a Cube Acid which I tour off road on. The Ridgeway being a favourite, but there are good routes around me on the Mendips.

I can’t talk for the bikes you are interested in specifically, but I would emphatically say that (in my opinion) front suspension is not required. It adds weight and is an extra think that could break or give you problems when ‘in the field’.

I tell you what, my eyes are spinning from comparing all the components on the various Cube bikes I've been looking at, the variations are mind blowing for a relative newbie like me.

Thanks for your input though, I do wish I could find a suitable one at a suitable price without the front shocks, but the one I've found is a perfect deal otherwise.

I can’t talk for the bikes you are interested in specifically, but I would emphatically say that (in my opinion) front suspension is not required. It adds weight and is an extra think that could break or give you problems when ‘in the field’.

Totally agree with this. Too lazy to check full specs of the bikes but I would ABSOLUTELY avoid suspension on a touring bike even if given away free/provided the bike at a discount. Not needed, unecessary complication, future servicing problems await - what you need OP is "rubber" and air. In volumes to suit. Can also cause rack mounting issues. Beware the siren call of suspension.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
I tell you what, my eyes are spinning from comparing all the components on the various Cube bikes I've been looking at, the variations are mind blowing for a relative newbie like me.

Thanks for your input though, I do wish I could find a suitable one at a suitable price without the front shocks, but the one I've found is a perfect deal otherwise.

Great stuff. Excited to hear what you went for. Links for the nosey or a cyber-lynching in the CC Town Square. :tongue:

OP
OP
Serge

Serge

Über Member
Totally agree with this. Too lazy to check full specs of the bikes but I would ABSOLUTELY avoid suspension on a touring bike even if given away free/provided the bike at a discount. Not needed, unecessary complication, future servicing problems await - what you need OP is "rubber" and air. In volumes to suit. Can also cause rack mounting issues. Beware the siren call of suspension.
Damn it, I knew I shouldn't have posted this!

Back to scouring the Internet, I really need some sleep.

Damn it, I knew I shouldn't have posted this!

Back to scouring the Internet, I really need some sleep.
:smile:

Fear not. You have avoided problems and made life easier.

What's your budget for this bike?
edit: I don't know your original bike.
Can you tell us anything about it?
A pic?
What's the issue with it?
Are you looking for 700 or 26 inch wheels?

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I'm afraid I'm not going get to be much use in your deliberations. Its true Cube bikes represent good vfm but I've never liked their poor unfinished frame welds, silly thing I know but its always put me off them. I guess that's where they save the money. I'd prefer a steel framed bike for that job with carbon or steel forks, but I'm sure one of the Cubes will do a fine job for you.

OP
OP
Serge

Serge

Über Member
I'm currently riding a 1997 GT Timberline MTB. It's completely original apart from SPD pedals and new brake pads. It does more than an adequate job on the commute but I enjoy longer rides on my days off.

I'm looking for something to carry me 50 to 80 miles a day but still be suitable for my daily commute.

I'd also like to retire my beautiful, old GT before she disintegrates.

OP
OP
Serge

Serge

Über Member
I'm afraid I'm not going get to be much use in your deliberations. Its true Cube bikes represent good vfm but I've never liked their poor unfinished frame welds, silly thing I know but its always put me off them. I guess that's where they save the money. I'd prefer a steel framed bike for that job with carbon or steel forks, but I'm sure one of the Cubes will do a fine job for you.
I know what you mean about the welds. Curiously, Cube always brag about the aesthetics of their smooth welds on the website.

I don't know the bikes but though very much at the functional end of cycling these days I can visualise the sort of welds you mean. Am still amazed that first world bikes are made with ugly welds - seems almost obscene.

Bodhbh

Guru
I wouldn't choose a bike with front suss for touring, but if it ticked all the other boxes and was cheaper than the fully rigid options I'd probably go with it. It can always be replaced with something else later and it's ALWAYS possible to bodge attachments to racks and mudguards to suss forks.

The main issue is, if you wanted to replace it, I can't think of many 700c forks with the similar geometry to replace it. Surly Ogre non suss corrected forks would do, and have more rack etc mounting points than you would know what to do with. But even the cheapest price (from Germany) would be 100 EU. There might be other options.

I wouldn't choose a bike with front suss for touring, but if it ticked all the other boxes and was cheaper than the fully rigid options I'd probably go with it. It can always be replaced with something else later and it's ALWAYS possible to bodge attachments to racks and mudguards to suss forks.

The main issue is, if you wanted to replace it, I can't think of many 700c forks with the similar geometry to replace it. Surly Ogre non suss corrected forks would do, and have more rack etc mounting points than you would know what to do with. But even the cheapest price (from Germany) would be 100 EU. There might be other options.
I think your second para undermines your first to be honest. And that replacement fork won't be free. Why complicate things? I'd get the right bike to start with.

Top Bottom