Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pw2389

My curiosity has finally got the better of me.

So, Cunobelin, what is your avatar? I mean I can see that it is a face in a circular leafy surround but what's the object itself? Does it have some mystical meaning?

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
My guess, It's a biscuit passed from LotP

A Biscuit! - You Phillistine, disrespecter of our fine english lore and downright bounder and cad!!

'Tis a "Green Man"

I have a love of old churches and have spent many a tour investigating them.

The Green Man is a pagan god, a mythical figure or a fertility symbol often found as a piece of mischief or as a hangover from previous beliefs. It is also a figure associated with ceremonies such as Beltane, May day and also with Folk Lore and Folk Music.(*)

They are in various forms from heads like the one in the Avatar to full blown "men of the woods" such as the Woodwose in Peasenhall on the Hull to Harwich.

Exeter Cathedral for instance aallegedly has more Green MEn than Christian figures!

I have a hobby of trying to find them when I explore churches or ancient building or sites - Hence as a fun item and an integral part of my cycle touring I thought a Green Man a suitable avatar.......NOt because I have a beard and my SO says I look like one!

* And yes I know it's not green and no I don't need a fertility aid!

It is an addictive hobby....

Part of the fun for apprentices used to be to sneak in these figures, often satirical or cartoons of local or political figures.

A policy that continues today - York for instance has replaced some of its faded and eroded faces with Star Trek characters!

Abitrary

It looks like a poltergeist who accidentally transported himself not into a little girls cupboard, but into a cowpat, cursing and making his apologies and then leaving

bonj2

Abitrary said:
It looks like a poltergeist who accidentally transported himself not into a little girls cupboard, but into a cowpat, cursing and making his apologies and then leaving

:biggrin: you are a very weird person.

Abitrary

bonj said:
:biggrin: you are a very weird person.

It's the alcohol

Abitrary

Sh4rkyBloke said:
A pint of what Arbitrary's on, please. :biggrin:;)

Are you the sort of person, who when someone is making a round of tea on your desk cluster, you say 'A gin and tonic please!', and then nervously scan everyone's eyes looking for a hint of acceptance?

bonj2

Abitrary said:
Are you the sort of person, who when someone is making a round of tea on your desk cluster, you say 'A gin and tonic please!', and then nervously scan everyone's eyes looking for a hint of acceptance?

HAHAHA! :rolleyes: he does! :rolleyes: :biggrin:

bonj2

no on second thoughts i think he's probably more the sort of person that says 'a pint of gin, please' then holds out for the round maker to snigger first, then when they come back says 'where's my pint of gin?'

OP
OP
pw2389

pw2389

Cunobelin said:
'Tis a "Green Man"...

...They are in various forms from heads like the one in the Avatar to full blown "men of the woods" such as the Woodwose in Peasenhall on the Hull to Harwich...

I had a suspicion that it might be a Green Man, but discounted it as I've only ever seen drawings/depictions of the "men of the woods" variety. There was, until recently, a pub of that name on one of my regular rides with such a sign.

Thanks for satisfying my curiosity, Cunobelin.

Top Bottom