Current favorite professional is ...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

2IT

Everything and everyone suffers in comparisons.
Who were and is your current favorite professionals and why?

You can certainly change your mind as time goes on so have at it.

My preference went like this: Merckx because he could do everything well, Roger De Vlaeminck because of classic wins, toughness and Brooklyn chewing gum kit, I took a break, Greg Lemond the first great American pro that had to overcome the French, (Lance Armstrong fell under the category of too good to be true so really wondered about him).

Currently it is Peter Sagan because he can ride with such abandon. It's as interesting watching him avoid a crash and stay upright as win a sprint. Plenty of post race "character" to smile at afterwards. Peter is learning to win or place in more ways than one as last year's TdF showed. He pretty much is year around entertainment for me so I don't have to wait for a grand Tour to cheer.

After last year's Vuelta, I would have to say Tom Dumoulin.

Just seems like a really cool, laid back kind of guy - but awesome as well.

Graham

helston90

Eat, sleep, ride, repeat.
I was always a fan of Sagan, I think I could associate most with him- good climber but not the best, good sprinter but not the best, general all round cheeky chappy, looks like he enjoys riding his bike and winning races as much as the fact that he gets paid to do it.

Reactions: 2IT

wisdom

Guru
As above for Sagan.
Lizzie Armistead for the girls.Reason being works hard and races hard with guts and determination.and seems a good all round person.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
For some reason, I find it hard to get particularly excited about Sagan - sure, he's a very talented rider, perhaps the most talented of his generation, and 'good for the sport' as everyone says, but there are so many other riders I enjoy watching as much or more. I don't really have one particular rider I follow, but I love riders who come into their own in particular races or conditions. When the rain comes down in short stage races, I'm always looking for Simon Spilak, for example. I enjoy the breakaway artists like Adam Hansen or Tommy Voekler, who will put in the effort for hours, usually in a doomed attempt to stay away, but then just occasionally, it works out and there's nothing better (like Rosa the other day). At the end of a tough one-day race or a stage, I am just hoping for a hard man like Steve Cummings or Ian Stannard to take a flier off the front and drive it to the end. I got into cycling watching the Columbians, Parra and Herrera in the Tour, and I love to see a great climber seem to accelerate on the steepest slopes while the others all go backwards - Quintana can do this today but there are plenty of others - I probably liked Emma Pooley more than anyone else for this. I like the riders like Gerrans or Purito, GVA or Henao (or Nicole Cooke at her best) who can take it up on those steep inclines in Belgium or on the run-in to Siena in the Strade Bianche, outkicking both supposedly better climbers and sprinters. But I can also really appreciate the way in which a spinter like Kittel or Greipel can just turn on the power or a little guy like Cavendish can suddenly accelerate like a wind-up toy, legs whirring at some insane rotation speed, out of a pack of riders who already seem to be going full gas. And finally, I love it when a guy who works selflessly for his team for years, finally gets the big win they deserve, as Matt Hayman did the other day at Paris-Roubaix. I guess I just like pro-cycling and everything that goes into it...

wisdom

Guru
For some reason, I find it hard to get particularly excited about Sagan - sure, he's a very talented rider, perhaps the most talented of his generation, and 'good for the sport' as everyone says, but there are so many other riders I enjoy watching as much or more. I don't really have one particular rider I follow, but I love riders who come into their own in particular races or conditions. When the rain comes down in short stage races, I'm always looking for Simon Spilak, for example. I enjoy the breakaway artists like Adam Hansen or Tommy Voekler, who will put in the effort for hours, usually in a doomed attempt to stay away, but then just occasionally, it works out and there's nothing better (like Rosa the other day). At the end of a tough one-day race or a stage, I am just hoping for a hard man like Steve Cummings or Ian Stannard to take a flier off the front and drive it to the end. I got into cycling watching the Columbians, Parra and Herrera in the Tour, and I love to see a great climber seem to accelerate on the steepest slopes while the others all go backwards - Quintana can do this today but there are plenty of others - I probably liked Emma Pooley more than anyone else for this. I like the riders like Gerrans or Purito, GVA or Henao (or Nicole Cooke at her best) who can take it up on those steep inclines in Belgium or on the run-in to Siena in the Strade Bianche, outkicking both supposedly better climbers and sprinters. But I can also really appreciate the way in which a spinter like Kittel or Greipel can just turn on the power or a little guy like Cavendish can suddenly accelerate like a wind-up toy, legs whirring at some insane rotation speed, out of a pack of riders who already seem to be going full gas. And finally, I love it when a guy who works selflessly for his team for years, finally gets the big win they deserve, as Matt Hayman did the other day at Paris-Roubaix. I guess I just like pro-cycling and everything that goes into it...
Lot of sense there have to agree with it all.However I do like Sagan though

I guess I just like pro-cycling and everything that goes into it...

I'll go with that as well - apart from Jens, obvs ;)

OP
OP
2IT

2IT

Quite the name dropper.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
The title doesn't exclude track so I'll go for Laura Trott. One of the smoothest riders with the most resilient legs and - national bias, no doubt - she'll end up with an enormous Olympic gold medal tally. Her slightly doolally persona in front of the camera belies a very skilled rider on the bike.

OP
OP
2IT

2IT

The title doesn't exclude track so I'll go for Laura Trott. One of the smoothest riders with the most resilient legs and - national bias, no doubt - she'll end up with an enormous Olympic gold medal tally. Her slightly doolally persona in front of the camera belies a very skilled rider on the bike.
Would you have a picture of her and her legs?

Top Bottom