Current state of our roads

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Blurb

Über Member
Make sure you report them. http://www.fillthathole.org.uk/hazards/report
Once reported it's usually fixed within a few days. Although, all the holes in my residential street were marked for repair within a week, and am still waiting for the actual fix a month on. Previous experience seems to suggest main roads get priority.
Quality of repair is variable, but at least the sting is taken out of the hole if you hit one.

BSRU

A Human Being
There getting worse in Wiltshire, to make it worse they have been putting down cobbles to slow motorists down:crazy:

classic33

Leg End Member
Its going to take 10 years to repair the current potholes, locally. But as has already been pointed out, the roads in use on the TDF are putting the other roads to shame.
The two are not connected in any way and is merely coincidence. According to the council.

Hip Priest

Veteran
Very poor here in Newcastle. Some of the local lanes have been repaired, but only after they've reached an unbelievably ridiculous state.

Soup890

Crazy
The road in Hemel Hempstead are bad pot holes etc etc. but St. Albans and harpenden the roads a well maintained. I guess it depends on the council's budget really.

icky

gone pedlin
Shocking was out a fortnight ago and in an atempt to avoid a pot hole/puddle ended up in a larger pothole blew front tube out . Been back today no puddle just a huge crater in the road suprized it didn't take me out .

MikeG

Guru
I've never known them so bad in my entire life. I travel a lot in Africa, and some of the some of the roads I see around here are poor African-standard. Frankly, it's not just dangerous, it's embarrassing. Overseas visitors must think we've gone completely to pot.

Would you believe it, but after a winter of nightmarish roads we've just had a letter saying that the county council will be resurfacing (scraping up and properly relaying) my village road, and on for about another 6 or 7 miles. Glorious smooth fresh-out-the-packet new tarmac, where my bike tyres will barely make an audible purr. They must have changed the route of the TdF all of a sudden without telling anyone!!:smile:

I was about to report a couple of manhole covers falling apart in a really annoying place at a pinch point which someone else had reported over 2 months ago but still hadn't been fixed.

However just this morning looks like they were putting it off because they were about to resurface a section of the road. 200 metres of pristine tarmac appeared overnight. Lovely to ride on, lets see how it holds up though.

Tempted to vote UKIP in the local elections because the UKIP candidate's main manifesto point is to stop the council spending money on building speedbumps and use the money instead on fixing potholes.

Platinum

We've had the main road through town completely closed off for several weeks, new roundabout at end, new pedestrian crossing + island, completely new surface, which I believe cost £1.3 million. Wonderful, heavenly. Only we found out tonight that Scottish Water are going to be digging it up again, so in a few weeks time after a few lorries have gone over the ugly patches it's going to resemble moon craters again. Why oh why oh why can't we do the Dutch model of coordinating with utilities whenever a road is resurfaced?

To be fair pot holes around here are usually filled in quite quickly once reported. But I've also been emailing my local council about adding a proper surface (you know, one you can actually ride a bike on) on an ideal, direct and 'unravelled', but muddy, flooded and overgrown cycle route (Bow of Fife level crossing to Springfield if anyone from Fife is interested in adding their complaint!). The council were supposed to have resurfaced about 200m of the 1.5mile route with gravel last December, not ideal, but of course it never happened. Instead they said they can only deal with it after they've fixed all of the roads in Fife...

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Would you believe it, but after a winter of nightmarish roads we've just had a letter saying that the county council will be resurfacing (scraping up and properly relaying) my village road, and on for about another 6 or 7 miles. Glorious smooth fresh-out-the-packet new tarmac, where my bike tyres will barely make an audible purr. They must have changed the route of the TdF all of a sudden without telling anyone!!:smile:
That sounds great. It's such a treat when you hit a nice smooth surface these days. Some of these council heads really need to have a go on a road bike on some of the roads. Whilst they look and feel not too bad for cars, they set your teeth chattering on a bike the top surface is so pitted and broken on a big majority.

Top Bottom