Custom built bike frame - what can you expect as a customer?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alicat

Legendary Member
The builder has advised that this section is built freehand and simply cannot be produced more accurately; stating that there will always be some degree of asymmetry.

I think the best you can do is to seek a second opinion from another framebuilder if you are reluctant to accept the original framebuilder's word.

Brads

Hand built frames can and should be pretty damn near bang on in terms of symmetry etc.

If its visibly squint its something that will nag at you all the time you own that frame.

OP
OP
A

aniki

I think you're right; and this is definitely the stance I would take if I were not the one on the receiving end. Just trying to work out where to go next.
If I reject the replacement frame on the grounds that the quality is still not as I expected, where do you think I would stand legally?
Considering this is bespoke build, what rights do I have when it comes to quality?
The argument could be made that functionally it is as per 'contract' and not unsafe in any way. But it just 'looks' shonky?

Well, I doubt I'll ever have a bespoke built bike frame unfortunately.. But I wouldn't buy a bespoke kitchen and put up with wonky cupboard doors, that still opened and shut properly- even if it just came down to bad adjustment I'd expect them to come and re adjust etc.. I definitely think you need a second opinion from another builder if you're not happy.. I'd think that they will be willing to keep you happy, even should they end up with a slight loss on this build, keeping a good reputation is paramount..

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
A decent frame builder will make symmetrical wishbone stay without much difficulty, unless you’re using some very thin or exotic steel.
(Why you’d want one on a steel bike is beyond me, but your choice!)
If they can’t make it right, get your money back and go to someone who can do the job. Everyone learns. The builder you have now learns to steer clear of them in future. You learn to specify you want a symmetrical stay before the build begins - sometimes what appears obvious isn’t.

Good morning,

I can see the logic in asking alternative frame builders for an opinion, but I can't really see what is in it for any frame builder to answer.:sad:

In the UK there are relatively few frame builders, so the idea of getting involved in criticizing another builder and then possibly having to back up the opinion in a small claims court is a no brainer; decline to provide an opinion.

Unfortunately I suspect that you are going to have to go either the CAB or a solicitor for legal advice as this is a bespoke order and the builder may quite legitimately believe that is has been fulfilled and you have no right to cancel it.

It would be nice to see a photo of the stay as my understanding of the quality issue if you go legal is that it based on "what a reasonable person would expect" not on any absolute standard.

Bye

Ian

Top Bottom