Custom built bike frame - what can you expect as a customer?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

aniki

Hi,
I'm just fishing for opinions at the moment as I'm unsure what my expectations should be regarding a custom build.
Many moons ago I had a custom steel frame made which was my pride and joy for some time and never had cause to question it or its builder.
-
More recently I've had another frame made. Like many, I chose my source based on a vast array of positive opinions and to a lesser degree price.
Now, to the crux; as we are talking about hand built, I appreciate that the tubes aren't assembled by robots so I'm not going to get 3D printed precision and perfectly spaced welds etc.
Provided the basic geometry is correct and it's aligned correctly, how forgiving should I be in terms of the 'hand builtness' of the finished article?
I read an interview with a very well respected builder who even stated that he could spend a year on a frame and never come close to the uniformity of a factory built frame! something to the effect that the beauty of such a thing is in its randomness.
But, where do I draw the line? What would you accept? If something isn't millimetre perfect but the builder says that's as good as they can do, should that be acceptable?
I know this is a bit open ended but would really like to hear your opinions or indeed, similar experiences.
Thanks

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
It depends on a lot of things, but I know that my back isn't straight and my legs are not the same length, so a millimetre here or there is not going to make any difference, As long as it fits you and makes you smile whenever you look at it or ride it - then it is job well done.

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
Had a frame made for me last year by a newish builder. My advice would be: visit the workshop and see the current frame on the jig; see a finished lug or weld or braze; see a painted bike.
If you have deep, deep pockets you can get anything, but not perfection. Handbuilt by nature will have flaws, but that’s part of the appeal of bespoke.
Any frame builder worth their salt will guarantee a frame for a good period anyway.
Tiny flaws - mine has a minute dint in the top tube, filled with paint- make it unique. Different matter if the welds are all ugly or the frame creaks when you ride it. But there shouldn’t be much out of you pick a good craftsperson.
Think of all the touches you can add to make it ideal for your style/ needs
I’m already saving for another

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Best quality tubes and lugs, at your choice. Extra brazings (third bottle-cage for example). Built to fit you and your style of riding.

Unless you're an odd shape it's really a luxury. But choose an experienced builder who can both design and build.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Unless you're an odd shape it's really a luxury.

I'd say that unless you are an odd shape it's totally pointless and offers no significant benefit over a production frame. The conventional triangulated bike frame has existed in it's current recognisable form for well over a hundred years. During that time, everyone has long since worked out what the optimum geometry angles and proportions are for various types of bike and riding. There is nothing new under the sun, it's all been tried before.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
My custom-built beauty is languishing in the sun as we speak!

7B4B45C8-067E-4F66-8926-97FD0764B9DC.jpeg

As said, make sure you are clear in your requirements and stick to your guns! I was pursuaded to make a couple of small changes which I regret. Not a big deal, but I should have stayed true to my original thinking. Otherwise, she’s everything I wanted her to be! Fits like a glove, rides like a dream.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I'd say that unless you are an odd shape it's totally pointless...

But see the rest of my post.

Bodhbh

Guru
I'd say that unless you are an odd shape it's totally pointless and offers no significant benefit over a production frame. The conventional triangulated bike frame has existed in it's current recognisable form for well over a hundred years. During that time, everyone has long since worked out what the optimum geometry angles and proportions are for various types of bike and riding. There is nothing new under the sun, it's all been tried before.

It's a luxury, I but fail to see it would ever be pointless if you're creating something which is not in production and 'just so' according to your own personal whims and requirements. You might want braze-ons in odd places, have your own ideas about geometry, an excentric BB, disc brakes on an otherwise retro lugged frame, all the above, etc etc.

As in another thread, I recently got a Troll frame - it is almost perfect for what I need but not totally. If I had a spare grand or two to throw at the wall, I'd probably have a frame built to correct the niggles*. Why wouldn't I?

(*FWIW - lower the BB a tad, get rid of some of the excess braze-ons, change the dropouts to vertical)

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Depends what you are paying for it, The way i see it as you get fitter or faster your needs change, so to me a complete waste of money, unless it's cheap. or you are rolling in it, but at the end of the day if thats what you want, go for it.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Depends what you are paying for it, The way i see it as you get fitter or faster your needs change, so to me a complete waste of money, unless it's cheap. or you are rolling in it, but at the end of the day if thats what you want, go for it.
The basic price for the 853 Rourke frame was approx a grand. That’s good value for a costom fitted frame. I then used most of the Ultegra/DA bits of my old TCR1 which was no longer suited to my needs. Splashed-out on some super sexy and strong wheels, dynohub lighting wnd decent tyres.
Total cost about £2500 after swapping black bits for silver ( pure vanity) for a perfect fitting, unique lightweight bike that’s responsive enough for fast club riding, ready to roll fir night and winter riding, comfortable enough for Audax and stable and strong enough for lightweight camping. I’d say a grand for the frame to allow that is money well spent.

alicat

Legendary Member
More recently I've had another frame made.

I'm reading that the frame has been made and you're not happy with it/it compares poorly with the previous one you had made.

We could be of more assistance if you could share a little of what the issue is, without of course identifying the builder if you don't want to.

Top Bottom