Custom ti frame (Waltly, China) - my experience

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Carbon fibre is nothing new. It has been used in aerospace for several decades. However there is a big difference between planes and bikes. The operators of the former go to great lengths to avoid them impacting into other solid objects. Bikes get bashed into hard things all the time and there's the problem
You guys have to admit, he's not wrong there!

(although CF is _fairly_ new - the Wright Brothers certainly didn't have access to it, nor Eddy Merckx.)

Milkfloat

An Peanut
You guys have to admit, he's not wrong there!

(although CF is _fairly_ new - the Wright Brothers certainly didn't have access to it, nor Eddy Merckx.)
Carbon fibre planes are designed to withstand massive impacts, from simple heavy landings to wheels up landings, plus the small matter of hitting a large bird at over 300 mph.

M+ tyres are far more puncture-proof than most lightweight tyres, and CF is far more prone to sudden brittle failure than a decent steel.
Each has cons/pros in other areas over alternative products. (I happen to be broadly anti-CF due to being a silly tree-hugger, but I don't take it to religious lengths).

Now can we move on??

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Any warranty?
That would be my main concern: cheap Ti (and much expensive Ti) has a woeful record for breakage. The fatigue limit is irrelevant if it's underspecified or overheated when welded, as there are local weak bits. For some reason, most of them go at the seat tube.

Steel breaks too, but Ti seems especially vulnerable.

That would be my main concern: cheap Ti (and much expensive Ti) has a woeful record for breakage. The fatigue limit is irrelevant if it's underspecified or overheated when welded, as there are local weak bits. For some reason, most of them go at the seat tube.

Steel breaks too, but Ti seems especially vulnerable.
Yup. But what I've seen and/or heard about they have failed very early in life. Any Ti frame I buy will get a lot of usage quite quickly! (like the other two I've had!)

p.s. they can be bonded instead, which presumably gets round this issue? No idea if anyone still does this though!

Top Bottom