Custom ti frame (Waltly, China) - my experience

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
G

gregorywells

Interesting thread, but why do titanium frames always seem to be cursed with those damn ugly carbon forks? I understand why titanium isn't an ideal material for forks, but why not specify cro-moly steel ones?
Being honest, I kinda like (certain) carbon forks on titanium frames. I also think the ride feel is nicer vs steel. I would agree if you were going for more a retro build but then I guess you might as well go all steel. That aside, I'd assume getting steel forks with thru axle and integrated isn't as simple since there is less of a market for it.

Being honest, I kinda like (certain) carbon forks on titanium frames. I also think the ride feel is nicer vs steel. I would agree if you were going for more a retro build but then I guess you might as well go all steel. That aside, I'd assume getting steel forks with thru axle and integrated isn't as simple since there is less of a market for it.
Many plain carbon forks are quite unobtrusive, so wouldn't jar against most frames visually.
For me, the typical Ti frame doesn't look like a classic steel one, with fancy lugwork or any of that jazz - so putting a more modern component on the front end doesn't look as odd as it would on an old steel frame. Personal views!

(regarding the modern curse of thru axles: i think steel f&f are now fashionable enough that someone is making them in every permutation going, and discs are the current predominant trend!)

Eziemnaik

Über Member
@SkipdiverJohn for me it would be puerly visual aspect. With most of Ti bikes using larger diameter tubes than steel ones, a svelte 753 form would not look attractive on a overbuilt in comparison bike

@SkipdiverJohn for me it would be puerly visual aspect. With most of Ti bikes using larger diameter tubes than steel ones, a svelte 753 form would not look attractive on a overbuilt in comparison bike
But why would you use larger diameter tubes? I don't think Ti is weaker/floppier than good steels, is it?

(My Raleigh Dynatech Ti looked exactly like an average steel frame from a distance - it was painted to help the deception!)

Last edited:

Eziemnaik

Über Member
If I was smarter than I am I would probably had a great reply:laugh:
I have no doubt there are beautiful Ti bikes with 28mm tubing, but with the current market pushing for tapered fugly headtubes and thicker downtubes a straight steel fork might look out of a place, at least to my admittedly limited sense of aesthethics.
DSC_0153.jpg

As far as I am concerned it will never approach the beauty of this:
IMG_2800.jpg

But then again, tastes are tastes

I have no doubt there are beautiful Ti bikes with 28mm tubing, but with the current market pushing for tapered fugly headtubes and thicker downtubes a straight steel fork might look out of a place, at least to my admittedly limited sense of aesthethics.

Because the topic is "CUSTOM ti frame" I reckon we don't need to worry about market fashions, and can just spec our lovely frames according to taste and engineering :P

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
View attachment 577624

As far as I am concerned it will never approach the beauty of this:
View attachment 577626
But then again, tastes are tastes
That green thing is fugly

Dan77

No, that's real engineering, designed and built by humans not robots.

What? Carbon fibre is a triumph of engineering progress.

All bikes are designed by humans. Steel parts are more likely to be made by robots, although admittedly not on that fugly green thing.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Because not everyone is adverse to carbon like you......

I'm not adverse to all carbon fibre. Just the ugly stuff with all the visual aopeal of a kitchen table leg or cats scratching post. Some very early CF bikes were actually quite nice to look at when they were built using an aluminium lugged method. They only became ugly when they started moulding the whole frame in one piece.

What? Carbon fibre is a triumph of engineering progress.

Carbon fibre is nothing new. It has been used in aerospace for several decades. However there is a big difference between planes and bikes. The operators of the former go to great lengths to avoid them impacting into other solid objects. Bikes get bashed into hard things all the time and there's the problem. Carbon fibre is fine so long as it can avoid damaging impacts, but in bicycle applications it often can't avoid such impacts. Therefore it is not the ideal choice of material to make bike frames & components from.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I'm not adverse to all carbon fibre. Just the ugly stuff with all the visual aopeal of a kitchen table leg or cats scratching post. Some very early CF bikes were actually quite nice to look at when they were built using an aluminium lugged method. They only became ugly when they started moulding the whole frame in one piece.

Carbon fibre is nothing new. It has been used in aerospace for several decades. However there is a big difference between planes and bikes. The operators of the former go to great lengths to avoid them impacting into other solid objects. Bikes get bashed into hard things all the time and there's the problem. Carbon fibre is fine so long as it can avoid damaging impacts, but in bicycle applications it often can't avoid such impacts. Therefore it is not the ideal choice of material to make bike frames & components from.

1. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, everything else you wrote is just pure bollocks.

Top Bottom