Custom ti frame (Waltly, China) - my experience

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
After reading varying reviews of Walty frames and the order process, I thought I'd share my own personal experience now my bike build is complete.

I decided I wanted to build a gravel titanium bike and having looked around a fair bit and checked out all the more well-known brands, I kept stumbling upon Waltly. I was nervous to order something of such value from a fairly unknown company from China but the savings compared to stock frames was just too much for me to ignore. The other key things for me is I have fairly short legs but longer upper body so most stock frames leave me needing me to adjust various stock parts just to make each bike fit.

Having originally thought I could order everything myself I soon realised I was really out of my depth when it came to frame geometry. I knew I wanted a endurance style frame with more relaxed geometry then a racing frame with clearance for 40mm tyres but I had no idea how to reflect that in the frame measurements/specs. This is when I decided to consult Wei, a guy who did a bike fit for me a few years back. For £80 he created a cad drawing based on my original measurements reflecting all my requirements and helped me through the order form.

With a final CAD drawing and complete order form, I contacted Waltly who swiftly replied with a few questions (what chain ring, axle etc) and following that quoted me £810 for the frame + delivery (no forks). I nervously paid the deposit via AliBaba (1/2 the total) and that was it for a while. Around a month later a few more questions come in re which forks intend to use. Following that I finally got an email saying my frame was ready (took around 2 in total) along with some photos. Frame looked amazing, welding was neat and everything looked perfect as far as I could see.

The frame arrived around 10 days later well-packaged and in perfect condition. The frame included a seat post clamp + rear thru axle (142).

Overall the process was very positive. Waltly were efficient, stuck to their proposed deadline and the quality of their work is very high. Having read a few other peoples experience of ordering from Waltly, I feel a lot of the problems arise from sizing/questions about geometry and answers being lost in translation. By having CAD drawing from day one, I was able to bypass a lot of these issues and skip straight to the final order stages.

I've attached a photo of my build, super happy with how its turned out. It really is my dream bike and I can't stop smirking when I ride it.

Hope this is helpful, more than happy to answer any questions for those considering ordering from a custom ti frame or using Waltly.

Attachments

• tempImagewnzD6z.png
    tempImagewnzD6z.png
    473.2 KB · Views: 454
Any warranty?

Eziemnaik

Über Member
Great bike!
If I needed another bike I would be tempted to order one of those with SS couplers or breakaway system:okay:
Did they charge you more for through axle?
Straight gauge or butted?
Internal cabling?

Dan77

Beautiful bike. When I am able to get another bike, it will be a titanium gravel bike with endurance geometry. I'm unlikely to be brave enough to order from China and self build but applaud you for doing so. Outstanding result.

OP
OP
G

gregorywells

Great bike!
If I needed another bike I would be tempted to order one of those with SS couplers or breakaway system:okay:
Did they charge you more for through axle?
Straight gauge or butted?
Internal cabling?
Thank you.
They didn’t display prices for each spec so not sure how much it would of been without through axle.

Tubes are butted and yep, cables are internally routed.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Iirc @jowwy also had a Walty build.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Iirc @jowwy also had a Walty build.
Yes i did although i went through a middle man for mine and paid circe £650 - it was cello rosso cycles

again, did all the design based on questions asked of me and then 2 mths later it arrived. Was a superb frame and is now being ridden around ireland with sram etap 1x11 and hydrualic breaks.........i sold it for £2400

T4tomo

Legendary Member
looks smart. I keep getting tempted by Planet X. would deffo go amber wall tyres though

1614615779894.png

Soltydog

Legendary Member
I was lucky enough to pick a used Waltly bike up at the end of summer last year for a very reasonable price. I was looking at a new Van Nic Yukon, but as a commuter/winter bike it was going to be quite expensive, even using C2W scheme. I've only done a few hundred miles on it so far, but it's a nice ride 👍

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Interesting thread, but why do titanium frames always seem to be cursed with those damn ugly carbon forks? I understand why titanium isn't an ideal material for forks, but why not specify cro-moly steel ones?

Top Bottom