Customer grips that fit M type bars

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

berylthebrompton

Hello

I am considering getting some custom grips for my Brompton with M Type bars. I have read good things about Ergon grips, but it seems most have to be cut to fit the M type bars. I have seen that the shortened "gripshift" versions fit without any modification, but they seem so short I am not sure how comfortable they would end up being. Does anybody have any experience with the gripshift versions on M type bars? Or any alternate grips that work well with M type bars?

Cheers,

James

12boy

Guru
He is out at the moment but Rivendell bikes have a $10 dutch Paddle grip. I have them on my Brompton and Swift and they leave room for brakes, shifter, and bar ends. Much tougher than the foamie Brompton stock ones.

chriscross1966

Über Member
PDW Whiskey grips are lovely things to put your hands on. Won't be able to check them against a stock M-type until I go home after xmas... I've got a slightly shorter set of carbon bars on my H-type at the moment and the grips are a fraction long... I'm planning on extending my bars half an inch each side to make them fit better..

12boy

Guru
gt5DPG-2_grande.jpg
Opposite ends of the price spectrum from Whisky grips which are very nice but cannot be shortened.

Attachments

• gt5DPG-2_grande.jpg
    gt5DPG-2_grande.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 90

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
The grip shift version of Ergon grips are perfect.

brompton-ben8-10.jpg

Attachments

• brompton-ben8-10.jpg
    brompton-ben8-10.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 211

mitchibob

Über Member
Hello

I am considering getting some custom grips for my Brompton with M Type bars. I have read good things about Ergon grips, but it seems most have to be cut to fit the M type bars. I have seen that the shortened "gripshift" versions fit without any modification, but they seem so short I am not sure how comfortable they would end up being. Does anybody have any experience with the gripshift versions on M type bars? Or any alternate grips that work well with M type bars?

Cheers,

James

I put Ergon GP2 grips (small size) on my M-bars and only had to move the brake levers a small amount, less than 10mm I'd say.

bikegang

Mod before ride, my bike my style...
Ergonomic leather grips for M type bar, also come with straight version.

433210936.jpg

Attachments

• 433210936.jpg
    433210936.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:

12boy

Guru
I had a pair of the cork ergons and they were very nice albeit heavy. Unfortunately, The cork kind of fell apart after a while, due, I suppose, to my corrosive sweat. They did last a few years though.

chriscross1966

Über Member
gt5DPG-2_grande.jpg
Opposite ends of the price spectrum from Whisky grips which are very nice but cannot be shortened.
I know what you mean re the price, I only bought mine cos they were on sale and colour matched my Racing Green frame... If I stick together a "winter" Brompton out of all the bits I'm replacing on Henrietta then the one thing that will look like new bits will likely be another set of Whiskeys...

Attachments

• gt5DPG-2_grande.jpg
    gt5DPG-2_grande.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 72

chriscross1966

Über Member
Really comfy!

Yes, on the Whiskey's you sort of rest your palms on the flat bits and loop a couple of fingers round the brakes, and that's about it, you don't really "grip" the grips at all.... and by heck it is more comfortable than any cylindrical grip. Even through gloves it feels nicer to touch than the old foam grips...

Top Bottom