Cut the chain too short...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Can you try to add a link or 2 that you removed in error? :smile:
It won't cost anything to try but it WILL cost the price of a new chain if you buy one without reason :sad:

SD

OP
OP
Archie

Archie

Errrr.....
Sittingduck said:
Can you try to add a link or 2 that you removed in error? :smile:
It won't cost anything to try but it WILL cost the price of a new chain if you buy one without reason :sad:
Indeed. I've still got the spare links, but interested to know if anyone thinks it's A Bad Idea.

gbb

Legendary Member
My winter bike has two quick links with a 3 link section added inbetween...no problems for me. No reason there should be really.

OP
OP
Archie

Archie

Errrr.....
fossyant said:
What 'speed chain'........ I say that as 9 or 10 speeds are really fussy........ never had any issues with 8's and below.........
10 speed

OP
OP
Archie

Archie

Errrr.....
Kestevan said:
Just add a new section with a couple of speedlink links (or whatever they are calling em).
Any reason not to use the links I've already cut out the chain?

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I did the same earlier today. Have to say it never occurred to me for an instant to do anything other than stick some links back in. What harm could it do?

Mr Pig

[quote name='swee'pea99']What harm could it do?[/quote]

Well, if you don't use a quick link, and don't join them correctly, it could could snap on you.

OP
OP
Archie

Archie

Errrr.....
I'm sure I'd seen a web site give advice about never reinserting cut links in a chain, but blowed if I can find it now. Just wanted to see what the guys with practical experience thought. Anyway, I've added an extra two links and will report any problems.

Word of advice for anyone sizing a chain using the bicycle tutor method linked to on Sheldon's website. Leave an extra two links in, subtraction is easier than addition. :biggrin:

andrew_s

Legendary Member
You can use the chain you've cut off, but you should make the join with an extra powerlink so there's two in the chain, or using the Shimano special pins (Shimano chains only)

Ademort

Archie said:
I'm sure I'd seen a web site give advice about never reinserting cut links in a chain, but blowed if I can find it now. Just wanted to see what the guys with practical experience thought. Anyway, I've added an extra two links and will report any problems.

Word of advice for anyone sizing a chain using the bicycle tutor method linked to on Sheldon's website. Leave an extra two links in, subtraction is easier than addition. :sad:
I am absolutely sure that if you use the links that you took off and install them correctly then you will have no problem at all. In 30+ years of cycling i have never come across a chain with links that cannot be ru-used after having being removed.
Ademort

Radius

SHREDDER
No, no way, do NOT reinstall a links on a 10 spd chain like that, it will break. The links are so thin and the reinstalling so inaccurate that they will not stand up to the mutilation. It might look fine, but it will break.

Top Bottom