Cutting a Carbon Steerer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

winjim

Smash the cistern
With the proper tools, yes.

sight-pin

Veteran
I've never cut one... but an old trick to cut a round tube etc is to wrap a straight strip of paper (A4 etc or whatever) around so it lines up and tape it in position, then carefully saw around by turning the tube a little at a time using the edge of the paper as a guide. This is the most accurate way i know without a machine... if this is of any help.

robgul

Legendary Member
VERY easy to cut the tube at angle if you're not careful - investing about £15 in one of these would be a good idea - mine was used this morning by a fellow cyclist who came round to my house.
41Kkg-s30zL._SY300_.jpg

ebay - or Google "steerer cutting guide" - Evans, Tredz etc

Rob

ayceejay

Guru
The old saying goes "Measure twice cut once" but I would be more cautious than that with a carbon steerer. I would cut it long and have a couple of spacers above the stem until you are dead sure but even then I might leave one spacer above just in case. After all you could cut it a dozen times as the cutting itself is not difficult but if you cut it too short you are fuxed.

I've never cut one... but an old trick to cut a round tube etc is to wrap a straight strip of paper (A4 etc or whatever) around so it lines up and tape it in position, then carefully saw around by turning the tube a little at a time using the edge of the paper as a guide. This is the most accurate way i know without a machine... if this is of any help.

A similar but possibly easier way that I use for tube cutting is a jubilee clip (aka hose clip). Simply fasten the clip around the tube, and keep the hacksaw blade to the edge of the clip. The clip will not move, and provides a firm guide.

Top Bottom