Cutting out food types

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Garz

Squat Member
Hehe, true simon, if you do a monster ride then you are welcome to a feastful treat! :biggrin:

OP
OP
Noodley

Noodley

Well that's nearly a week of making changes, it's been okay so far. Lots of fruit and veg, fish, gluten free pitta bread, prawns, chicken, stir fry. Not bad at all. Going out tonight to the Turkish restaurant, so it'll be chicken and rice with no pitta. I reckon I can just about cope with this :laugh:

If you're allowed gluten free stuff; and rice, things are easier.
You might want to look at (eg) Doves Farm stuff for if you get a sweet tooth; their biscuits seem to be free of all the things you are trying to avoid.
Also http://www.glebe-flour.co.uk/ seems well recommended by people who are craving 'normal' bread but can't have any; you may need to make your own though!

Eighteen months after developing some fairly worrying health problems and going through a raft of tests, throughout which I had to maintain my previous eating habits, I've just been given permission to try an elimination diet. I decided to pay for a blood antibody test to identify the precise foods that might be causing a problem. The results came back and the culprits turned out to be the usual suspects but also included a couple of surprises. Some of which are regularly used in foodstuffs that are designed to replace those that people are commonly intolerant to. I'm still finding my way through what I can and can't eat but within two weeks the difference to my health is amazing and I would have been screwed if I hadn't known the specific foods that caused my problems. I would have still been deteriorating despite thinking I had eliminated problem foodstuffs and the cause of my problems must lie elsewhere. Also, the test has equipped me with a list of foods that I know I can enjoy without worry which makes giving up the others a little easier. I can PM you the details if you're interested and it isn't a route you've already been down.

Matty

Noodley said:
Rice 'might' be okay, but that's about it. I'll have to try it and see. It's something to do with the type of protein. I'll be discussing it further with medical people but was wanting some pointers as that's gonna take a while.

If said protein is gluten, then rice is okay. As are oats in a small quantity.

My wife is gluten/dairy free, has been for years. Once you get used to it, it really isn't a problem - she doesn't miss out on much. We pretty much diagnosed it ourselves, every GP we came across over the years was useless with regard to food intolerances. As were the dieticians.

Noodley, feel free to ask any specific dairy/gluten questions....

Matt

yoyo

I had to change my diet to wheat/ gluten free / dairy free (can use goat's milk and cheese) and exclude red meat. This was due to hypothyroidism and adrenal stress. Whilst it is a bit restricting and I sometimes come off it, my health and wellbeing has greatly improved and I have lost over 1.5stone. I haven't been cycling long distances for a few months I have been advised to exercise more gently until my medication is working fully.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
numbnuts said:
I was told by doctor to cut out red meat, and now I’m anaemic, it got so low they wanted me to go in to hospital now I’m on bloody iron tablets which turns your sh1t black and give me the runs so be careful

When I was in my early 20s, I went to give blood one day, and they told me I was anaemic and that I should see doctor... doc told me to drink a few pints of Guinness each week and that would sort it out. :wacko: It did :smile:

jimboalee

Fnaar said:
When I was in my early 20s, I went to give blood one day, and they told me I was anaemic and that I should see doctor... doc told me to drink a few pints of Guinness each week and that would sort it out. ;) It did :blush:

First you was a Knee Mick. Then after a few pints of Guinness, you became a shin Pad.

Top Bottom