CX bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
rideswithmoobs
In August I'm working back in Lincolnshire for a week so may drop in to Planet X on way back home and take a look at that. Rotherham area ?

The more I look at that Pickenflick the more I really like it. Swaying back towards CX

Last edited:

Venod

Eh up

Last edited:
OP
OP
rideswithmoobs
Caadx 105 £899 and Ultegra £1299, both good bikes and good spec. I think the cube cross race pro is under a grand too at wheelbase at moment. Don't know if they are good prices or when new models due out

outlash

also available in orange
FWIW, I've just ordered a Fuji cross 1.3 from Evans. Which for the money (£806), I think is more than a bit of bargain. If I had the money, I would have had the Ultegra CAADX. The problem with the 105 & lower CAADX's are the brake calipers aren't up to much, the Ultegra has hydros which is why there's more of a price leap.

OP
OP
rideswithmoobs
FWIW, I've just ordered a Fuji cross 1.3 from Evans. Which for the money (£806), I think is more than a bit of bargain. If I had the money, I would have had the Ultegra CAADX. The problem with the 105 & lower CAADX's are the brake calipers aren't up to much, the Ultegra has hydros which is why there's more of a price leap.

Will have a look at the Fuji and I hadn't noticed the CAADX 105 was not full hydro's

Venod

Eh up
The problem with the 105 & lower CAADX's are the brake calipers aren't up to much, the Ultegra has hydros which is why there's more of a price leap.

I had a Tiagra CAADX , bought second hand, I didn't think the brakes were very good so I upgraded the cables to some Goodridge ones, that improved them immensely, I no longer run hydraulic brakes on any of my bikes as I find cable ones just as good when the right cables are used and the brakes are set up correctly.

So my advice would be don't let cable disc brakes put you off, but the Cannondale ones are not the best.

outlash

also available in orange
For me, it was a decision between a CAADX or the Fuji. I've heard nothing but bad things about the Promax calipers on the Cannondales, I rode one that confirmed it. The Fuji has TRP Spyres so it was one less thing I had to buy to make it race ready.

Agree with Hydros not being necessary for crossers, cable discs are powerful enough IMO. Anything is better than canti's....

OP
OP
rideswithmoobs
For me, it was a decision between a CAADX or the Fuji. I've heard nothing but bad things about the Promax calipers on the Cannondales, I rode one that confirmed it. The Fuji has TRP Spyres so it was one less thing I had to buy to make it race ready.

Agree with Hydros not being necessary for crossers, cable discs are powerful enough IMO. Anything is better than canti's....

TRP on the Genesis. Interesting about the cannondales, does that equate to the full hydro's on the ultegra or are they better ? Thanks for the advice I appreciate it as it really helps when going and looking. Wheelbase have a good range of CX bikes and should be working half hour from Planet X in August so opportunity to pop in there. I like my Genesis SS so could look at their Day One Decade cyclocross or off road SS, lower Gear inches than mine :stop:

outlash

also available in orange
TRP on the Genesis. Interesting about the cannondales, does that equate to the full hydro's on the ultegra or are they better ? Thanks for the advice I appreciate it as it really helps when going and looking. Wheelbase have a good range of CX bikes and should be working half hour from Planet X in August so opportunity to pop in there. I like my Genesis SS so could look at their Day One Decade cyclocross or off road SS, lower Gear inches than mine :stop:

AFAIK it's full hydros (Shimano RS 585's) on the Ultegra, not the TRP HY/RD calipers that are about. Interesting you mention the Day One, I had one (Alfine 8) and thought it was too heavy to race yet last season there was a guy racing on one, pretty rapid on it too.

OP
OP
rideswithmoobs
AFAIK it's full hydros (Shimano RS 585's) on the Ultegra, not the TRP HY/RD calipers that are about. Interesting you mention the Day One, I had one (Alfine 8) and thought it was too heavy to race yet last season there was a guy racing on one, pretty rapid on it too.

I think it would require serious fitness to use the SS CX. It's 61 gear inches, trail riding it would be fun and simple maintenance but tough as hell to race. I could swop front and rear sprockets and achieve same G.I.
Another one for the pot is Cotic Roadrat custom built with Hope kit. Flat bar, steel rigid MTB almost ^_^ not for racing though

OP
OP
rideswithmoobs
image.jpeg

Off the beaten track the day one never disappoints.

Top Bottom