CX disc wheels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nebulous

Guru
Hi folks I have a Edinburgh bike cross bike with discs, about 18 months old used daily for a short commute.

It has been okay so far, but has just started giving me grief. First of all the tektro lyra rear caliper gave up and I replaced it with a promax render r. It was a beggar to set-up but once I got the adjustment right it was working well.

I don't know if I was testing it overenthusiastically, or if it was just coincidence, but a day later I have popped a spoke at the back. So thinking about replacing the wheels with a modestly priced set that will take my discs and calipers. Any suggestions? Willing to go to around the £120-150 mark.

I'm beginning to think these disc brakes don't quite have the advantages that people say they have!

djb1971

Legendary Member
I've got some cheap aksiums. They are used and abused off road, still as true as the day they were fitted. Cost just over £100

If you fancy better wheels the crosslights are a good choice but well over £200.

Sixmile

Veteran
I'm in the same boat i.e. looking a front cx wheel after an accident on Sat morn but after visits to Chain Reaction shop, Decathlon, McConvey Cycles and online visits to Tredz and Wiggle I am still without a replacement. When I took my bucked rim into Chain Reaction they assured me that they wouldn't have anything to suit my hybrid with disc brakes. I have since discovered CRC stock the shimano set shown above by @Afnug so going to call in to have a look at them. Strangely on their website they have the front and back wheel in stock but the set of 2 together is out of stock. Thanks for the pointer on the adaptor too!

Top Bottom