Cyclair Pumps

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
desperion said:

I found out last week (on first use in an en-route puncture situation) that they're not all they're cracked up to be. Wouldn't attach properly to a Presta valve, and after spending a couple of minutes getting the tyre to half-pressure, it let it all back out again. Then, because I'd been using the pump for more than three minutes it began to overheat and seize up. Hardly ideal with a completely flat tyre and no other means of getting it pumped up !!
In addition, the pull-cord was shedding black material at an alarming rate, so I don't think it'll last more than a handful of uses before it snaps.

A complete waste of almost £30 :rolleyes:

I've gone and ordered myself a Topeak Road Morph instead, as I never want to be stuck like that again !

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
I have one - I've used it to top up high pressure (120 psi) tyres and to inflate them from flat without problems. The gauge is excellent, and the pump hasn't failed to do its job whilst I've used it.

I didn't like the pull cord action much though, and prefer the Topeak Road Morph G as my portable pump.

Brock

I think they're great. The only problem I've had is when I managed to yank the thing out from under my foot (wet trainers) and it ripped the nozzle off, much to my girlfriend's amusement. Certainly the easiest way I've found to get decent pressure while on the road though.

wafflycat

I love my Cyclaire+

It's the only pump I can use *easily* to take with me on bike and in case of puncture reinflate road bike tyre to over 80psi *easily* I can't do that with a 'nromal' pump. I can using the track pump back at home, but carrying the track pump with me on the bike doing a fifty mile bike ride is ABitOfABugger... Using the Cyclaire+ it became APieceOfP!ss to do.

OP
OP
D

desperion

Thanks for all your replies.
My main worry was the fact that the "Cyclair" used a cord and the possibility of this snagging or fouling and of course the resulting forces applied to what must of neccessity be a small mechanism, this seems to have been experienced by some. Pity, it seemed an excellent design concept.
The Topeak Road morph seems to be the way to go as it is highly proclaimed throughout the cycling forums

Tynan

Veteran
Having pumped up at the side of the road a few times lately I'm watching these pumps, a few bad reviews lately, the more or less regular pump I have gets it to about 70 at a guess with some effort, good for the arm

goo_mason

John the Monkey said:
I have one - I've used it to top up high pressure (120 psi) tyres and to inflate them from flat without problems. The gauge is excellent, and the pump hasn't failed to do its job whilst I've used it.

I didn't like the pull cord action much though, and prefer the Topeak Road Morph G as my portable pump.

John - how the heck did you get it to attach to a presta valve properly ? I've tried EVERYTHING to no avail. I've double-checked that I reversed all of the right internal parts and I have. But it just refuses to stay on and just moves and lets all of the air back out again :angry:

Brock

goo_mason said:
John - how the heck did you get it to attach to a presta valve properly ? I've tried EVERYTHING to no avail. I've double-checked that I reversed all of the right internal parts and I have. But it just refuses to stay on and just moves and lets all of the air back out again :angry:

Are you locking it on with the little flap lever bit goo?

Cathryn

Legendary Member
I used to be evangelistic about my cyclaire...and then I bought a topeak mini morph and my world changed forever!!! So much easier to both attach (to a presta) and inflate!! Amazing thing.

buddha

Veteran
I you see a Cyclaire pump, please don't touch it. Run away in the opposite direction.
They have the ability to transform completely rational, mild-mannered people into crazed, frustrated lunatics.

I've been through two of them, so I should know!

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
goo_mason said:
John - how the heck did you get it to attach to a presta valve properly ?

No trick to it that I could see - just boshed the head on, and twisted the lock thingy over. Mine was always reliable, both in attaching to the valve and pumping to high pressure, the vibration gave me a sore hand though.

I'm almost tempted to try it again, although I've lent the pump to a friend (who might not be a friend much longer, given some of the reviews on here... :smile: )

goo_mason

Brock said:
Are you locking it on with the little flap lever bit goo?

Yes and even that refuses to stay put - it slides back into the 'open' position with alarming ease, all by itself.

I'm terrified of getting another flat before my new pump and tyres arrive, as I never want to have to rely on the Cyclaire again (because it'll let me down - literally - in spectacular fashion).

Top Bottom