Cycle Alarms

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wolf04

The University I work for is having a security initiative tomorrow where they will be handing out free D locks and cycle alarms to cycling members of staff.
I'm seriously impressed by the gesture and may there be many more like it. I'm guessing that it will be an either or scenario, so was wondering if anyone had any experience of cycle alarms? I'm assuming it will be battery operated, motion detecting kind of thing. Are they effective or should I add another D lock to my collection?
Pete:smile:

50ag5ne they w533 be een 3ess effec5e than

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
The usual recommendation is to have different sorts of locks if you're using more than one, so maybe instead of going for another D, choose a chain or cable lock.

The bike alarm is probably nice to have, but given the way people ignore car and house alarms, I reckon you're right about adding another lock too ;)

OP
OP
Wolf04

Wolf04

John the Monkey said:
The usual recommendation is to have different sorts of locks if you're using more than one, so maybe instead of going for another D, choose a chain or cable lock.

The bike alarm is probably nice to have, but given the way people ignore car and house alarms, I reckon you're right about adding another lock too ;)

Hi yes my current security setup involves a D lock with extension cable and a heavy duty chain lock. I also have a very snazzy cycle locker at work. The locker however doesn't have any anchor points to use a secondary lock hence the reason I'm interested in the alarm. My other thought was to use a very large lump of lead I have to lock to the bike making it very difficult for the little darlings to accidently walk off with my pride and joy:tongue:

Maz

Guru
Either Jacomus had a brain fart, or he's fallen asleep at the keyboard, again.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Cab said:
Jacomus is having a stroke! Quick, someone get him an ambulance ;) :smile:

My money would be on accidentally hitting the number lock on a laptop...

Not entirely sure of the appropriateness of the laughing smilies and the word stroke, but I have a friend who had one and finds typing or writing coherently very difficult now, so maybe I'm sensitive.

Cab

Arch said:
My money would be on accidentally hitting the number lock on a laptop...

Not entirely sure of the appropriateness of the laughing smilies and the word stroke, but I have a friend who had one and finds typing or writing coherently very difficult now, so maybe I'm sensitive.

Oops, sorry. Not meant to offend, and I wouldn't make a joke like that if I hadn't encountered such a thing first from an old friend who suffered a series of strokes while very young, and who would relentlessly torment me using gags like that for the slightest error. Harmless fun if intended in jest I think (and I'm sure Jacomus and others here know its intended thus!).

domtyler

Über Member
I bought a really nice alarm for my bike, cost a small fortune. Went in to town on the bike, locked it up and set the alarm. When I got back some little blighter had nicked it. The bike was still there though fortunately.

domtyler

Über Member
Cab said:
Oops, sorry. Not meant to offend, and I wouldn't make a joke like that if I hadn't encountered such a thing first from an old friend who suffered a series of strokes while very young, and who would relentlessly torment me using gags like that for the slightest error. Harmless fun if intended in jest I think (and I'm sure Jacomus and others here know its intended thus!).

Unbelievabubble. The first time you have ever made me laugh (well giggle inwardly) and you slapped down for it! ;)

Jacomus-rides-Gen said:
;) Ahem, that was a case of forgetting I had the num lock on when I took my laptop away from my keyboard... and not looking at what I was typing

So can you decipher the code? Or will it remain a mystery (of the Da Vinci code type :smile: )

Top Bottom