Cycle cafe

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AMcyclecafe

Hello cycling community!

I am considering opening a cafe in the surrey/ hampshire area that caters to cyclists. With amazing coffee, outside seating, cakes and light lunches. I wanted to get some feedback from the riders out there on various different things:

1. Do you stop at cafes on your rides?
2. Where are your favourite cafes to stop at on your cycles?
3. What makes them so good? (Or bad)
4. Are there any locations that you feel need this kind of cafe?

any feedback would be amazing!!
Thank you?

we go on rides. We stop at cafes during rides. We ride on cycles. (although most people say "bikes" unless they actually own a trike!)

Hope that's clear :smile:

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
I haven't ridden by bike to a cafe since lockdown I'm afraid. I now take my own sarnies out if the ride is long enough for the need for some sustenance.

When I did it was the ride that I went for with knowledge of likely friendly places to refuel at reasonable prices
I like good big pots of tea with refills
In winter I like a warm bowl of soup but I've noticed that the prices are getting silly now
A good location for me would be in a cafe desert in my ride radius so that would open up more routes

Indeed taking my own sarnies allows that latter point. My only fixed point on a route now is my start/finish.

Your area of interest is well outwith my daily ride radius even when I'm into a 3 figure mile day out so Good Luck with Surrey/Hampshire

Drago

Legendary Member
1. That really depends on where I'm riding. The cafe in Salcey Forest is a regular.
2. I don't really have a favourite. The aforementioned cafe is a regular haunt though.
3. Good grub, decent and copious outside seating.
4. Theynshould be everywhere.

DRM

Guru
A place to securely lock your bike to, within view of the seating area, two that I know of, Leeds Urban Bike Park (MTB Venue) and National Trust’s Nostell Priory at Wakefield have a secure scaffolding pole that the nose of the saddle goes over, so the bike hangs just off the floor, then you simply put your lock through the bike frame and round the pole, people who do a lot of miles and stop for a break at a cafe will likely have invested a lot of money in buying, and upgrading their pride and joy over time. they won’t want it out of sight were it can disappear before you’ve finished your cake and cuppa.
Goes without saying good coffee and cake, possibly cold drinks & ice cream for hot days too.
With walkers, a dog water bowl outside too would be a nice touch.
As above walkers, general public too, bacon/sausage butties never go amiss.

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
As above walkers, general public too, bacon/sausage butties never go amiss.
But don’t forget the non-meat eaters :okay: (no facon please)

a chilled water dispenser to fill bottles :okay:

decent loos for women...no unisex facilities ;)

In the Netherlands there are many, many cycling oriented cafés.
Obviously they have excellent parking facilities for bikes (although not everyone likes the racks), accessible taps for water, charging points for e-bikes and normally basic tools available.

However, a café is a very tough business and dependence on just one segment would be very risky (and let's not forget that cycling is a broad church from a group out to cycle 200km in a day, to a family group out pootling, to the elderly folk out for some exercise and social interaction).
Cycling is not just seasonal (for most) it's also weather dependent which can be a nightmare from a management perspective - rostering staff, perishable food etc.

Good luck!

figbat

Slippery scientist
Not generally, no. Largely because there aren't many on the ride routes that I do and partly because my frame of mind when riding is "head down, get there" which means I often don't stop or, if I do, it is a perfunctory, short stop. I wish I did stop more often, or planned rides that included a café as a way-point.

Given the above, I don't have a lot of experience and things have changed since the lurgy. The Saddleback Farm Shop café worked well for me when I went there last year. Same for the Savages tea room.

First, being in a place that I cycle past is a good start. For me that means rural locations that are easy to access using cycle-friendly roads.
Having an obvious way in, place to park and leave bikes safely is also a good point. Having the bikes parked in view too.
Tables that have space to put stuff - helmets, gloves, other paraphernalia.
A decent menu - for me I don't want a meal but a filling 'snack'; a variety of cakes is a good start along with stuff like pastries, pies, tarts etc. Decent tea.
I like the idea of a cycling 'pit-stop' area - basic parts and tools etc, a track pump, a drinking water tap.
I also do a fair bit of evening riding, so opening hours that allow a later arrival might go down well.

Places that cyclists go (Strava heatmaps may help define this) that have a good reason for stopping; nice view, nearby other attraction etc.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Hello cycling community!

I am considering opening a cafe in the surrey/ hampshire area that caters to cyclists. With amazing coffee, outside seating, cakes and light lunches. I wanted to get some feedback from the riders out there on various different things:

any feedback would be amazing!!
Thank you?
Can you do some research? - go and seek out where cyclists go in your area and get a feel for what makes a good cafe. Even better get on your bike and join the community to understand what works best for you.

One of the best in our area is a self service hut where cyclists use the kitchen provided in a large hut and summerhouse with seats and tables outside in summer, with juice and milk in a mini-fridge and pay for the drinks and cakes, provided fresh each day, in an honesty box. There's a couple of toasters to make toast in the winter and loads of kettles! Low overheads and very popular.

Top Bottom