Cycle camping food

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
I’m a vegetarian so I tend to just add nuts and raisins to packets of flavoured couscous or rice as my ‘emergency’ food source. I don’t tend to tour too far from civilisation so most meals are bought en route and I look for overnight places that have a bar/restaurant reasonably close.

OP
OP
Petrichorwheels

Petrichorwheels

My dear old dad and I lived on pasta pots and porridge pots on our tour. Instant coffee sachets did for hot drinks. Oh, and Guinness of course. In between meals we had cereal bars ready in the bar bags. It doesn't get anymore simple than that.
The pasta and porridge pots take up alot of room if carrying for a few days worth so we emptied the contents into food bags and kept one empty pot of each to gauge the hot water required.
Not sure I understand this vantage. What's in these porridge pots? Oats? If so why not just buy a bag of oats and measure yourself into pan with appropriate amount of water? Or if you don't want to carry a full bag, pre-measure yourself/feed excess to friendly animals. Ditto with pasta.

Jameshow

Veteran
Not sure I understand this vantage. What's in these porridge pots? Oats? If so why not just buy a bag of oats and measure yourself into pan with appropriate amount of water? Or if you don't want to carry a full bag, pre-measure yourself/feed excess to friendly animals. Ditto with pasta.

Pots like pot noodles.
Easy and quick.
Milled oats would do in a little tub?
Musli bars for supper too.

oldwheels

Legendary Member

Medium oatmeal with a touch or salt and/or sugar measured out with a small light plastic measure into a bowl then just add boiling water, stir and wait for a few minutes and eat with milk which could be made up with milk powder and water. A knob of butter is nice mixed in also or add raisins or really anything you fancy. We used this for breakfast when touring as teenagers with very little money.
Takes up very little space before preparation.

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
I just carry some pasta or rice and buy/ forage something just before I want to stop. Most veg can be fried up in a pan, I've had some wonderful meals for very little outlay.

OP
OP
Petrichorwheels

Petrichorwheels

Last edited:
Top Bottom