Cycle camping food

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

8mph

Veteran
At this time of year I'd probably just heat up a bag of precooked rice and a tin of curry, or beef stew. In summer I tend to just snack all day on meal deals. Lazy I know, but by the time I make camp my priority is coffee, not chopping veg.

Jameshow

Veteran
Agree, Steve, but they are dead expensive for what they offer (and bitd I consumed plenty: (competitive/sharp end mountain marathons and the like eg long expeds; 'Vesta' was the lead make, bitd iirc)). I had to buy some of the 'modern' ones for Ten Tors (not for me) and was appalled at the low kcals per £6.
@Petrichorwheels said: "prefer basic food from simple ingredients" - sure but this is camping, and needs to be simple and ideally minimum mess left. If by 'camping' you mean at a site with basins and the like, driving there, then 'fill yer boots' with haute cuisine.
250g of rice gets you 400 kcalories, and add protein. Cashews get you 600+ kcalories per 100g, btw. And a swiss roll or ginger cake are both 900 kcalories. As a 'starter' I carry/use an OXO cube (tasty/salty). For afters, three (say) pints of 4.5% beer are 600+ kcalories. Sorted.

Chorizo would be good in rice giving protein and flavour without needing to be kept chilled??

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
My preferred evening meal solution; stop short in a town, eat your fill and then ride till camp. Have a flapjack type bar to start off after dawn (having struck tent) and have a decent breakfast after an hour plus on the road. And repeat.

Much more compact and lighter setup as well. Just carry the tent, mat, sleeping bag. Eat in a pub or town nearby then just use tent for sleeping.

tom73

Guru
Cheep camp cookware won't stand up to the job and you risk hotspots.
A good set of real army mess tins will out last anything. Easy to use , pack and a doddle to clean.
Not sure if its practical but a the small ridgemonkey would be a addition great addition to any camp cooking set up.

Last edited:

Jameshow

Veteran
Much more compact and lighter setup as well. Just carry the tent, mat, sleeping bag. Eat in a pub or town nearby then just use tent for sleeping.

May not work over new year....

Hoping for some warmer days...

For a week of euro touring I wouldnt cook but eat out or picnic.
For wilderness tours you may want Just Add Hot Water camping meals.
For longer tours I reduce the cost by cooking real food on Trangia. Typically, carb ( pasta, rice, couscus, ramen noodles), protein ( chorizo, sardines, smoked mackeral, local fish), and veg ( onion, cougette, pepper, green beans), and culinaries ( chicken stock cubes, pesto, olive oil, salt, pepper, herbs, spices). Usually one pot rice meal or 2 pot pasta dish taking 20mins. On one occasion, a 3 course steak dinner. I really like camp cooking, it is part of the experience for me.

Last edited:

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Agree, Steve, but they are dead expensive for what they offer (and bitd I consumed plenty: (competitive/sharp end mountain marathons and the like eg long expeds; 'Vesta' was the lead make, bitd iirc)). I had to buy some of the 'modern' ones for Ten Tors (not for me) and was appalled at the low kcals per £6.
@Petrichorwheels said: "prefer basic food from simple ingredients" - sure but this is camping, and needs to be simple and ideally minimum mess left. If by 'camping' you mean at a site with basins and the like, driving there, then 'fill yer boots' with haute cuisine.
250g of rice gets you 400 kcalories, and add protein. Cashews get you 600+ kcalories per 100g, btw. And a swiss roll or ginger cake are both 900 kcalories. As a 'starter' I carry/use an OXO cube (tasty/salty). For afters, three (say) pints of 4.5% beer are 600+ kcalories. Sorted.

Yes they are very expensive. I carry a Stanley food thermos and get it filled at a cafe. It stays hot for 24 hours. You always find something in that time. But you have a hot snack whenever you need it.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
I have a mini home made camping box of herbs and spices, I carry pasta and a couple of boxed type chopped tomatoes and buy small amounts of fresh veg as I need. Bread and cheese bought as needed too.

Top Bottom