cycle capes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Josie Dew recommends them on the grounds that they can be used as a discreet portaloo

compo

Veteran
I prefer a cape if it isn't too windy. Being on sweat encouraging medication I just "boil in a bag" in a waterproof coat, to the extent that I may just as well get wet from the rain. Capes don't make me sweat and keep me nicely dry helped by the fact I have full mudguards front and rear as well.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
WTF is a cycling cape.......... I googled it and it looks like a poncho am I looking at the right thing? If so they look unbelievably dumb, I'd rather wear a bin bag, at least you can use something you already have to make yourself look like a doofus without buying extra things.

Dave7

Legendary Member
WTF is a cycling cape.......... I googled it and it looks like a poncho am I looking at the right thing? If so they look unbelievably dumb, I'd rather wear a bin bag, at least you can use something you already have to make yourself look like a doofus without buying extra things.

There speaks a man who has never tried one:smile:
I used one all the time........but then I was only 15 and that was 50 years ago.
But they were good........kept all moving parts free and you didn't sweat. The S'wester was mandatory if you wore a cape.
And they had to be made from oilskin so it smelled right.

Octet

Veteran
Personally I would agree with Rob3rt, although I haven't had any experience.
They do make you look a bit like a banana, especially with the yellow ones. Although looking at them, they do look like they would get caught in your wheels and restrict your turning?

They hang very low, is that an issue?

lukesdad

Thy used to be all the rage Rob.

Keith Oates

Janner
They are still very popular in China and I used one regularly if there was a downpour on the commute to work. As others have said they are much cooler than a typical cycling wet suit.

Octet

Veteran
What stops them getting caught in your wheels and restricting your turning?

Images seem to show them hanging almost on top of the front wheel.

compo

Veteran
If they are too long then trim a bit off the bottom. Decent capes have loops inside that you hook your thumbs through. The front of the cape goes over the bars and turns with the bars. There is no need for the cape to be so long that it will blow into the wheels. The old fashioned oilskin capes were fairly stiff anyway and would stay put. I trim modern lighter weight ones so there is less hang down than the space from the end of the bars to the wheel making it almost impossible to blow into the wheel.

Kiwiavenger

im a little tea pot
I want a superman jersey with a cape!!! Not the type your on about but still!!!

Personally I just wrap anything that needs to remain dry inside a carrier bag in my rucksack and let me get as wet as I can!!!! Having a towel at work helps too

Sent from the Holodeck on my Tricorder

Top Bottom