Cycle Carrier for 4 Adult Bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
I know there's already lots of threads on cycle carriers and from what I've (so far) learnt, I've decided on a tow bar mounted carrier.

Now 4 adult (mountain) bikes seems like a lot of weight to me, so I'm looking for recommendations from folk who actually carry 4 adult bikes on their carriers.

The 2 most popular carriers seem to be Atera Strada (my favorite so far) and Thule. Ideally I'd like a carrier which would allow me to open the rear door of my estate car without having to remove the carrier.

Any guidance on the cycle carrier and type of tow bar required would be appreciated.

Many thanks,
Shaun.

I've been looking at this recently too, without much success. I already have a 4 cycle carrier hung up in he garage, solid thing made from square tubular steel from my ownership of a 4x4 a few years ago.
Problem is the 4 bikes weigh just short of 60kg, carrier probably another 15-20. So just about ok with most cars (usually around 75kg)
Max nose weight of current car 60kg :wacko:
Rear door mounted types - can't find anything that will carry over 45kg

So I'd advise checking the max. nose weight in your car handbook and weighing the bikes first.

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
I have managed to fit 2 26inch and 2 20 inch wheel MTB's on the roof of a Mondeo Estate and drive to Holland and Brittany with them.

OP
OP
JtB

JtB

Dave5N said:
I have the Atera Strada with the extension kit. Great piece of engineering. Recommended.
What sort of electric socket do you have on your tow bar? and does it support the reversing and fog lights on the cycle carrier?
Thanks,
Shaun.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I can't remember what ours is but we can fit on 3 adult and 1 24" bikes but it is a bit of a struggle trying to get all the handlebars/pedals/seats to match.

The guy who installed the tow bar fitted the electrics at the same time so that reversing lights work and when it indicates it beeps - but I can't remember what make our rack is.

But we usually have to be careful going over speed bumps with it attached.

Dave5N

Über Member
Shaun said:
What sort of electric socket do you have on your tow bar? and does it support the reversing and fog lights on the cycle carrier?
Thanks,
Shaun.

Dunno. I told the tow bar place what it was for and let them get on with it. Everything works fine.

Very helpful service at place called Indespension - think they are a national chain.

OP
OP
JtB

JtB

Dave5N said:
Dunno. I told the tow bar place what it was for and let them get on with it. Everything works fine.

Very helpful service at place called Indespension - think they are a national chain.
I have a quote from Indespension to supply and fit a fixed tow bar with electrics for £176.40 + VAT.

I presume yours was also a 'fixed tow bar'. Also, Altera say (on their website) that the standard 7 pin UK socket is not wired for fog and reversing lights, but Indespension say that while it is not wired for reversing lights, it is wired for fog lights. Could you please confirm that the fog light on your Altera works.

Thanks,
Shaun.

OP
OP
JtB

JtB

I took delivery of an Atera STRADA 3 to 4 bike carrier plus an adapter (for a 4th bike). But during assembly of the adapter, I found out that use of the adapter required straps to be attached to the vehicle and that the adapter could not be used on vehicles with a rear spoiler. Since my vehicle has a rear spoiler, then this bike rack was of no use to me. Also, no way was I paying all that money just to end up using straps to attach the carrier to my vehicle. So it was back to the drawing board for me ....

After a brief search I decided on the rack below. It was one of the few that could carry 4 x 15kg adult bikes without exceeding the 75kg nose weight limit on my tow bar: http://www.roofbox.co.uk/scripts/rbvehsel4.php?query=BRH204&vptype=&emulate=accgen&qty=1

Boggins' Dad

Irritating Beeping

It's a legal requirement for trailer electrics to have an audible indicator which beeps when you indicate, so you know the lights are working.

How annoying is this?

Were I towing some massive caravan I could understand it; my cycle rack is about 2 feet in length?

How does one disable the bleeping?

Top Bottom