Cycle carrier

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Briggo

Hi folks,

After some advice for a rear mounted carrier, I drive a Mondeo 5dr hatchback (with standard rear spoiler) '99 model.

Some websites state that a carrier & spoiler = no no?

I was looking at the Thule Freeway 968, but to be honest I have absolutely no idea if it will fit well.

Whats recommended, high or low carrier (I know the advantages/disadvantages to both in terms of drag = fuel consumption or lower = additional number plate board etc).

Any advice would be mucho appreciated!

Night Train

Maker of Things
I use a Witter ZX88 with my estate car. I chose it because it was easy to use with no fiddly straps, the bike was clear of the lights and number plate and it doesn't take much space when it isn't being used. It also has other uses and doubles as an extension to my roof rack with a home made bit on top.

I don't think a bike on the back of a car is ever going to be good for fuel economy. Two roof bars increases my fuel consumption by about 12%, a bike will probably be more. I tend to carry the bike inside if I am on a long drive but I can do that with an estate.

My gut feeling will be that a lower bike will be less of a drag as it will sit in the area of low pressure behind the car. If it is high then it will interupt the airflow more.

Top Bottom