Cycle Chat Sub-Forum Etiquette

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TK421

Casual Extremist
Evening All,
I'm glad to be here and enjoying the site and just want to check that I'm reading things correctly.
As I'm building my first bicycle I've posted a picture in the project, build, rebuild forum. So now if I have any questions about parts I pose them in the components forum and if I ask how to fix or fit anything then I ask that in the maintenance forum, is that correct?
I only ask as I am used to Work In Progress forums where what aftermarket to buy and how to fit it would all be in one for a scale model project.

PapaZita

Guru
I think you could do either. If you have questions that relate specifically to your build then ask them in your build thread. For example, “See the picture of my BB area in post #7. Which derailleur will give the most mudguard clearance?”. But if it’s something a bit more general, e.g. “what’s the difference between this 105 part and the Ultegra equivalent?”, then you might get more views, and the following discussion might be useful to more people, if it went in the components forum. You could always add a link to your build thread for a bit more context.

Ajax Bay

Guru
So now if I have any questions about parts I pose them in the components forum and if I ask how to fix or fit anything then I ask that in the maintenance forum
I'd follow that. Think about where your post will get useful exposure to people who 'know' or are at least interested. Your main post will be of interested to the project/builders but more specific Qs (eg your examples) are best posed as you have suggested. The idea of @Moderators moving a question to a 'better' sub-forum is (imho) a stretch (though they can offer guidance on that).

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
The idea of @Moderators moving a question to a 'better' sub-forum is (imho) a stretch (though they can offer guidance on that).
:hello:
Actually, we do move threads all the time to different subfora.
Sometimes they get reported as to be in the wrong section, other times we see them ourselves, move them for better exposure, inform the op.
Like, I'm going to move this thread to site support right now :biggrin:
... with a few days redirect notice in general cycling, so folks don't think it had disappeared ^_^
As I'm building my first bicycle I've posted a picture in the project, build, rebuild forum. So now if I have any questions about parts I pose them in the components forum and if I ask how to fix or fit anything then I ask that in the maintenance forum, is that correct?
Yes, this is correct.
Good idea by @PapaZita to insert a link to your project thread, to give contest.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Hi @Aluminum Falcon and :welcome: to the site.

I see you've had some great answers to a fair question so I'll just add that the idea for that section was to provide a space to share projects (such as the fabulous ones from @loopybike) and make them easier to find.

There isn't a problem with you asking questions within an ongoing project thread but threads that are started specifically to ask for buying or building/repairing advice are better going in the relevant sections.

Top Bottom