cycle comp for commuting?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
I think it depends what you want your computer to tell you. I just bought a CatEye Velo 8 from Chain Reaction Cycles, for £14, it has all I need on it, infact possibly more than I need. Fitted it pretty easily, seems to work well, which is all I ask.

Probably worth going to a site like CRC, getting all the computers up, and looking at what they feature, and what they cost, and weigh it up.

potsy

Rambler
Arch said:
I think it depends what you want your computer to tell you. I just bought a CatEye Velo 8 from Chain Reaction Cycles, for £14, it has all I need on it, infact possibly more than I need. Fitted it pretty easily, seems to work well, which is all I ask.

Probably worth going to a site like CRC, getting all the computers up, and looking at what they feature, and what they cost, and weigh it up.
I too got a velo 8 for my Secteur,nice and easy to use/install and nice and small.
On the hybrid have a wireless one from Decathlon which works fine too,but is a little bigger.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Wilkinson do 1 for £7 ..........

You get basic functions like speed,distance ,average speed etc but they do not like the wet .
When it really pissed it down the other week took 2 days before it dried out and worked again ;) cant complain for the price though.

jay clock

Massive member
anything. To be honest what more would you need apart from speed, distance and time? Halfords to an 8 function one which is wired and works well. Not sure of price, but about a tenner

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
well i managed to find one that doesn't record your time or average speed. didn't realise untill i had installed it, so i can't take it back now.

so make sure you check the functions before you buy, as they don't all do the basic functions

Noodley

This is not intended as an arsey comment but why do you need a computer for commuting? :biggrin:

I always thought commuting was getting from A to B and back again. :wacko:

jig-sore

Formerly the anorak
Noodley said:
This is not intended as an arsey comment but why do you need a computer for commuting? :biggrin:

I always thought commuting was getting from A to B and back again. :biggrin:

so you can pace yourself ??? to log mileage ??? some people just like to have a computer, me included :laugh:

the velo 8 is good but halfords do a very similar 8 function one (not the wireless range) as well. i have both :biggrin: this one.... http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_196877_langId_-1_categoryId_165741 they seem to have some other cheap and nasty looking ones as well. the one in the link is good for the money, if you not mind having halfords across the front in big bold letters

i recently got a free computer from cycle-plus mag with cadence and all that, to be honest i found it to be too much info and spent most of my ride trying to get the perfect spin rate instead of just riding.

keep it simple

Arch

Married to Night Train
Noodley said:
This is not intended as an arsey comment but why do you need a computer for commuting? :tongue:

I always thought commuting was getting from A to B and back again. :biggrin:

So that I can log the 18 miles a week and feel smug....

And sometimes I like to check my speed, see if I'm getting any faster. (I'm not...;))

potsy

Rambler
Noodley said:

I always thought commuting was getting from A to B and back again. ;)
For me a commute is part travel to work part training,it's good to know speed on certain hills etc so I can track my progress.
Biggest hill on commute I was struggling to get above 6mph now I'm doing 8mph.
Most of the time I just ride in don't bother looking at speedo til I get to work,but on way home like to push myself a bit more.

Top Bottom