cycle computer?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Willo

Just gatecrashing this thread, after using a Cateye wired velo 8 that was kindly donated to me by someone on here, I'm also on the lookout for a new one to put on my chrimbo list. My main concern is something that is resilient to a bit of rain. My current cateye has had the odd blip and it tends to coincide with wet weather.

Personally, Cateye. One of mine is nearly 20 years old and still going strong, I've even still got the instruction manual and original box.

Also personally, wired. Not difficult to set them up fairly unobtrusively and you won't get interference issues.

Another option is go for a GPS unit, which normally allows data downloads and can be swapped between bikes.

In my experience the only problem with the cheaper ones is the contacts need keeping clean and the mount continually adjusting, otherwise they fail to pick up the signal sometimes, particularly in bad weather. Programming them is a bit more idiosyncratic as well but so long as you are aware of all that....

knitgirl

I bought this Bell 20 function wired computer earlier in the year and have been very happy with it. It seems to have gone up as it was £9.50 when I bought mine. Does everything that I need - speed, time, distance, temperature, calories and more ^_^

Monkspeed

I have a Btwin Count 8 which sells at Decathlon for £20. Seems OK so far. It has Current time (12H/24H), Trip time, Total km, Trip km, Average speed, Max Speed, Current speed. And when you change batteries it has the option to re-enter your total km. I will have to get back to you about longevity but it comes with a 2 year warranty...

HTH.
:smile:

Shaun

Founder
I've had a basic Cateye one on my commuter - doesn't do cadence, etc. - just tells me how far, how fast, and average speed - job done ... :thumbsup:

tyred

Legendary Member
I will always buy the cheapest wired one I can find. They have always worked and all I need to know is how far I've been and a rough idea of how long it took me to get there. The Raleigh branded one is my favourite cheapy but I found I had to cable tie to the mount to get it to make contact on wet days, just a minor inconvenience.

I have stopped using my bike computer. Mainly because it stopped working, but I decided not to replace it. It was a Shimano Flight Deck and the best and only thing I miss about it was showing you which gear you were in.

I now use the Cyclemeter App for my iphone which is always with me when I'm on the bike. I listen to my itunes when riding and every 5mins and 5miles a little voice speaks in my ear telling me my current speed, avg speed, distance travelled and on routes that I've riden before it tells me how far I have to go and how far I am ahead or behind my Best/Median/Worst time for said route.

When I get home I have a email with a google map showing the route I have just travelled and every mile marked with split times. It also gives you graphs of speed and profiles your altitude. records total acents and decents and lists on a calander every mile, meter climbed and calorie burned in a day, week, month or year.

It is the best thing I bought last year and it cost £2.99. http://www.abvio.com/cyclemeter/

Monkspeed

I have to agree with SoloCyclist above, although I don't use cyclemeter I downloaded Endomondo for my iPhone last night and gave it a go today. Its tracked all my laps and their respective times while highlighting my fastest and slowest. Its got altitude and elevation data, avg and max speed, distance, personal bests, pretty looking graphs. All for absolutely free! Apparantly you get even more functionality if you buy the app but the free version has a lot in it as is.

Sort of made my cycle computer redundant now!

EDIT: Actually I just bought the pro version just now for 69p, can't wait to give it a go now!

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
I have a cateye wireless - I'm not sure they still do the exact model anymore (vectra) but it's survived 3 years daily use in all weathers with no problems, and hasn't suffered from interference from LEDs etc (unlike several mates cheaper units).

I'd stick with wired at the cheaper end of the market - much less to go wrong. However my wife has been running a cheap wireless comp bought from Decathlon, it has worked well so-far (but is admitedly pug-ugly).

Top Bottom