Cycle friendly cafe's/pubs in Surrey Hills

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

livpoksoc

Guru
I'm trying to sort out a route for our local club to have a summer away day to the Surrey Hills. I had planned on visiting The Milk Churn in Rudgwick, but recent Trip Advisor reviews would suggest it might be problematic, so would like some options as a back up.

Can fellow CC'ers make any recommendations for somewhere a group of 20~ riders to take in a coffee, cake, bacon roll etc.? (we also ensure groups are split into appropriate sizes for social distancing at cafe stops etc.). Would be happy to call and book ahead too.

We'd be looking at anywhere in these villages/areas:
Charlwood
Rusper
Newdigate
Capel
Okewood Hill
Ellen's Green
Rudgwick

The route we're taking in would be just shy of 50 miles as a circuit Dorking > Box Hill > Charlwood > South West a bit > North to Leith Hill > Dorking

TIA

vickster

Legendary Member
@lazybloke is that way I think

lazybloke

Considering a new username
I'm trying to sort out a route for our local club to have a summer away day to the Surrey Hills. I had planned on visiting The Milk Churn in Rudgwick, but recent Trip Advisor reviews would suggest it might be problematic, so would like some options as a back up.

TIA

@lazybloke is that way I think
There are some cafes on Box Hill, with the National Trust kiosk being the one with the best capacity for a group, but the place is rammed.
I'd head to the villages to the south, or on to Leith Hill, and find a pub, any of the following:
  1. The Plough (Coldharbour)
  2. The Hurtwood Inn (Peaslake)
  3. The Abinger Hatch (Abinger Common)
  4. The Volunteer (Sutton Abinger
  5. The Parrot (Forest Green)
There will be more to the south, in Walliswood, Ewhurst, etc, or perhaps larger facilities if you went to the town of Cranleigh.

Farm shops might be a good bet - Tanhouse Farm shop & cafe just south of Newdigate is supposed to be good.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Those pubs get pretty busy. Worth reasearch & enquiring in advance.

Maybe also consider hotels near to Charlwood, - they might offer more formal arrnagements for group catering?
Maybe Russ Hill hotel (Charlwood), Ghyll Manor hotel (Rusper).

OP
OP
livpoksoc

livpoksoc

Guru
There are some cafes on Box Hill, with the National Trust kiosk being the one with the best capacity for a group, but the place is rammed.
I'd head to the villages to the south, or on to Leith Hill, and find a pub, any of the following:
  1. The Plough (Coldharbour)
  2. The Hurtwood Inn (Peaslake)
  3. The Abinger Hatch (Abinger Common)
  4. The Volunteer (Sutton Abinger
  5. The Parrot (Forest Green)
There will be more to the south, in Walliswood, Ewhurst, etc, or perhaps larger facilities if you went to the town of Cranleigh.

Farm shops might be a good bet - Tanhouse Farm shop & cafe just south of Newdigate is supposed to be good.
Thanks, the kiosk at Box has been rammed on the couple of times I've been there and the NT have asked us to fill out a request form if we wanted to start/end our club ride there.

I'll check these out though, think we're looking for somewhere North West of Horsham so it's a convenient 25-30 miles into the ride, good to refuel before going up Leith. Was thinking we can then (weather dependant) sit on the grass outside The Plough in Coldharbour before rolling back to Dorking.

Top Bottom