cycle guides \instructors

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
There's a pool of us who take it in turns (some more often than others) for a local group. All voluntary, unpaid except that you know sometimes you won't have to worry about the route. Additionally, I'm sure some of our group would happily show visitors around if we can find a mutually-convenient time, just because we'd be riding somewhere anyway for work or chores or health or fun and it makes our town nicer if more visitors are on bikes instead of getting confused trying to navigate in cars. I think we don't really advertise that now outside of special events like the cycling festivals, though.

Do you mean as a paid gig? I think then you might ask a highways council, because ours offers free buddy rides to would-be cycle-commuters from time to time, but they'd probably want you to qualify as an instructor too. I'm not sure how you'd market it privately (tourism offices or bike hire shops, perhaps?) and I expect potential buyers or funders would want/require sturdier insurance than the usual cycling group third-party stuff, which might itself mean getting formal Ride Leader qualifications and shoot. I'm not sure how the economics of commercial cycle guiding would add up. Anyone know of people doing it commercially?
thanks...no definitely not paid.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
It's slightly worrying that a group subject to that training could then go out and lead complete beginners, but I suspect most people realise their own limits and either didn't do any leading or stuck to off-road cycle paths.
True, Anne.
I did the Breeze training too, fortunately I did some CTC and some Scottish Cycling training before the Breeze, so I knew the difference.
One instructor (from England, granted, so not familiar with our road, but he could have scouted the ride) almost led the group on the motorway!
I am a ride leader (not guide lol) that knows her and her group's limitations, I'm good at the mechanics but cannot handle twisty right turns on paths, so I amend my routes accordingly.
Sometimes I get paid, mostly I do it as a volunteer for the Glasgow Belles.
There are groups in my area that go out without official leaders, even though I think most of the "guides" have some cycling qualification.
The difference between them and I is that I am responsible for the group, up to a point, and I'm insured to lead.
I was lucky that I did not have to pay for any of my training as I got invited by project managers that had founding.
After doing the training, most of the ladies on the courses I was on never led, some say they feel the responsibility is too much, some only want to do fast on road routes, others simply did not enjoy the course.

I run organised led rides around Luton on behalf of Sustrans and also train other Ride Leaders. So that anyone taking part is covered by Sustrans insurance, to be a Ride Leader, you have to do their training course which amongst other things covers the need to do a risk assessment for each ride, and have the basic First Aiders qualification.

There's nothing stopping anyone starting their own led or guided rides anywhere they like, as a voluntary thing, and locally I know other cycling groups do just that. However, if say someone was injured or killed due to that guide making some error or misjudgement, then they're open to being sued.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
However, if say someone was injured or killed due to that guide making some error or misjudgement, then they're open to being sued.
What the flaming heck does that mean? Surely everyone is "open to being sued"? But you're no more likely to succeed in suing a guide than you are suing a map, sat nav or someone in a filling station who gave you directions, as long as guides simply guide and don't slip into leading.

Nevertheless, I do strive to tell any new riders that it's not a led ride, that they should ride as they should if they were alone and just happened to be behind another rider and that they should make their own decisions.

I know that those who have taken the expensive ride leader qualifications (whether they paid or someone else did) (edit: ) and especially the training organisations have an interest in scaring people out of riding together without a qualified leader, but I do wish you wouldn't. A relaxed group ride is a different thing to a led ride, so surely there's room for both.

Last edited:

Pat "5mph"

I know that those who have taken the expensive ride leader qualifications (whether they paid or someone else did) have an interest in scaring people out of riding together without a qualified leader, but I do wish you wouldn't.
Eh?:wacko:
The umpteen cycle chat (other groups exist) show that nobody is scared :okay:
Some official ride leading roles require a certain procedure because of the insurance: the Belles are affiliated to Cycling UK, we have to follow their rules but that does not impede any of us to participate in rides with other groups.

Reactions: mjr

mjr

Eh?:wacko:
The umpteen cycle chat (other groups exist) show that nobody is scared :okay:
Doesn't stop 'em trying. It's the same sort of scaremongering as trying to stop people clearing snow for fear of being sued: if you don't do anything unreasonably stupid (hosing the snow away, or deliberately telling people to ride on ahead when you know that's onto a motorway), what exactly are you going to get sued for?

Some official ride leading roles require a certain procedure because of the insurance: the Belles are affiliated to Cycling UK, we have to follow their rules but that does not impede any of us to participate in rides with other groups.
Some affiliates consistently show they don't have to follow CUK rules. It's up to them whether they choose to comply in exchange for insurance cover. It's CUK member groups that don't have the choice and must follow the rules.

Does CUK require affiliated group ride leaders to hold a qualification, then?

Pat "5mph"

Does CUK require affiliated group ride leaders to hold a qualification, then?
Don't know this for sure.
The founder of the Glasgow Belles says it is necessary for the leader's liability insurance (from cycling uk).
I sometimes ride as a participant with another CUK affiliated group, don't know if the leaders are qualified, they do not take emergency contact numbers like I would do if I lead, don't know if they do a reccie risk assessment like I do, don't know if they are first aid trained.

Pat "5mph"

I won't take emergency contact numbers any more because you can't get consent from the number's owner,
How do you mean?
They are consenting to me or others calling an ICE in case they end up injured.
I had folks saying they don't have an ICE (next of kin are out of the country or whatever) never anybody said "I'm not gonna give you it".
If they did, and then had an accident, I would leave them in hospital alone lol
The numbers are destroyed after the ride.

mjr

How do you mean?
They are consenting to me or others calling an ICE in case they end up injured.
People shouldn't be giving you their own numbers as ICE. It should be someone else's, like a partner or close relative, who often won't be present for you or them to ask for consent.

But this is a tangent on a tangent. As you were.

Pat "5mph"

People shouldn't be giving you their own numbers as ICE. It should be someone else's, like a partner or close relative, who often won't be present for you or them to ask for consent.

But this is a tangent on a tangent. As you were.
Yes, of course.
But if you agree to be an ICE or indeed if you are a next of kin, you must be aware that your number will be given when an emergency could arise.
I don't have a next of kin, so I asked a few friends to be my ICE, can't image a partner/family member would say no.
Anyway, what do you do with the injured if you have no ICE?

mjr

I don't have a next of kin, so I asked a few friends to be my ICE, can't image a partner/family member would say no.
I don't think most people think to ask. The idea of carrying ICE info still comes as a surprise to so many, let alone the idea that they should have the contact's permission before disclosing their number. :sad:

Anyway, what do you do with the injured if you have no ICE?
Look at their ICE card or phone lock screen. I don't see why I have reason to have their ICE number before then. If they've neither, then I'll have to leave it to the paramedics or police to handle it like any others.

Mrs M

Guru
We went on a guided ride once, in Portugal.
Taken over some very bumpy, scary in places, terrain (we'd booked a leisurely toddle, lol).
The view from the top of the "mountain" was quite specatacular though.
Views on the "nudie beach" not so much :eek:

I was waiting for some buddies to arrive for a ride a few weekends ago and a a couple of riders approached me asking if I was the "guide".

I had no idea that such people existed. It sounds quite enjoyable, heading out with riders, showing them the twists and turns of the local roads, not to mention joining a guide for the same.

Anyone know if such guides are qualified, if so how and at what cost.

Lastly, does CylcleChat have a group of local guides...if not...why not?

Yes, I am one. The British Cycling ones don't get paid anymore though ( unless it's for a route). We are all first aid qualified, and a lot of us have done route planning / risk assessment courses.

Top Bottom