Glasgow to Loch Lomond cycle track

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slick

Guru
Looks like a section is going to be upgraded for a bypass road. The surveyors are out taking measurements. Will we be diverted to use the A 82 while the bridges are built /upgraded
https://www.google.com/url?q=https://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=42794&sa=U&ved=2ahUKEwjz39OKiOmCAxWaTkEAHSOmC8oQFnoECAYQAg&usg=AOvVaw3b8LQFAlD6JtsjLiJdzZDm

Mm, I'm maybe struggling to see exactly where the work is being done, but from Dumbarton would we not just be on the cycle path as its the road that's getting upgraded?

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I lived in Bowling just a few hundred yards from the Dunglass roundabout but that was 50 years ago. There was a railway line which ran behind the then Littlemill Distillery which later became a cycle track with access from the other end of Bowling near the canal basin which of course was the end of the canal side cycle path. This went towards Dumbarton and I think went on the river side of the Hiram Walker warehouses. Somewhere it transferred onto a path beside the River Leven to Balloch.
Memory is probably faulty and a lot can change in 50 years.

Slick

Guru
I lived in Bowling just a few hundred yards from the Dunglass roundabout but that was 50 years ago. There was a railway line which ran behind the then Littlemill Distillery which later became a cycle track with access from the other end of Bowling near the canal basin which of course was the end of the canal side cycle path. This went towards Dumbarton and I think went on the river side of the Hiram Walker warehouses. Somewhere it transferred onto a path beside the River Leven to Balloch.
Memory is probably faulty and a lot can change in 50 years.

No you are pretty much spot on.

I cycled that path every day for a number of years and still join it at Dalreoch train station where it joins the Leven on towards Balloch and Loch Lomond.

OP
OP
S

Sallar55

Veteran
Will be interesting cycling thro a roundabout upgrade look at the detailed map of the roundabout. We might be lucky and have a new tunnel instead of up and crossing over the Bowling exit from the roundabout.

Slick

Guru
Will be interesting cycling thro a roundabout upgrade look at the detailed map of the roundabout. We might be lucky and have a new tunnel instead of up and crossing over the Bowling exit from the roundabout.

Do you mean at the oil terminal?

tyred

Legendary Member
I rode this route in June from Glasgow Central Station to Balloch and really enjoyed it, especially around Bowling and the canal.

I somehow got lost in Dumbarton, but that's not unusual for me as navigation was never my strongest suit.

OP
OP
S

Sallar55

Veteran
This and no underpass
Also the crossing has changed looking at entry and exit of cycle route. Will be much busier with new estate on the oil terminal land.

1000021253.png

Last edited:

Slick

Guru
I rode this route in June from Glasgow Central Station to Balloch and really enjoyed it, especially around Bowling and the canal.

I somehow got lost in Dumbarton, but that's not unusual for me as navigation was never my strongest suit.

To be fair, its not difficult to get lost in Dumbarton as the gap between the park and picking it up again at the water isn't immediately obvious if you haven't done it before.

OP
OP
S

Sallar55

Veteran
Not much of a response to this ,does anyone care about cycling infrastructure up here on the west coast 🫢 edit if you get lost in Dumbarton on the cycle route try telling Sustrans why . No-one else has any trouble as its well marked😂

Last edited:

Slick

Guru
Not much of a response to this ,does anyone care about cycling infrastructure up here on the west coast 🫢 edit if you get lost in Dumbarton on the cycle route try telling Sustrans why . No-one else has any trouble as its well marked😂

Just because nobody on here has much to say about it doesn't mean it isn't important. Most couldn't point to Bowling on the map but its a well used route all year round so any disruption will have quite an affect but I still don't think the disruption will be significant for cyclists but as I keep saying, I may be wrong. Also, its like everything that's easy when you know how, but getting from the end of the park to the high flats via the underpass isn't that easy for first timers. I rarely followed that route at that bit because it was so convoluted, I would just carry straight on through the railway arches and up the one way street and onto the bridge to rejoin it at Dalreoch. :okay:

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
If I'd known you were doing this route, I would have taken a day off to ride it with you.
That bit you are referring to is not intuitive.
Imo, it's not well marked if you're a first timer on the route.
I would just carry straight on through the railway arches and up the one way street and onto the bridge to rejoin it at Dalreoch. :okay:
Agree.
The first time I rode the route I did just that, because I didn't know any better :laugh:
Only when I went again, with a group and a group leader, I realized my mistake.

tyred

Legendary Member

Pardon me for my stupidity.

I assume you've never missed a small blue signpost in your life?

tyred

Legendary Member
If I'd known you were doing this route, I would have taken a day off to ride it with you.
That bit you are referring to is not intuitive.

I never thought in getting in touch with anyone.

I may be back next year as I have unfinished business in the Glasgow area. I had a plan to meet with a cousin I haven't seen in about 20 years but it didn't happen as his mother in law ended up being rushed to hospital so I said I'd be back.

Top Bottom