Cycle Helmet

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cicero

I've just put a mountain bike I was given back on the road with some new City tyres (with help from this forum) and I now need to buy a helmet
but is there anything I should watch out for or avoid?

Probably going to go to Decathlon or Halfords, as they're near by.

Any hints or tips will be most welcome.

Thanks.

corshamjim

I've just put a mountain I was given back on the road with some new City tyres (with help from this forum) and I now need to buy a helmet

Thanks.

This may sound obvious, but get one that fits - ie it's comfortable and stays put. I didn't spend enough time shopping for mine and it's always been a bit tight fore-aft. :sad:

OP
OP
C

cicero

Thank you both for replying.

I suppose it is obvious that you buy one that fits but usually I'm fairly impatient and have previously bought shoes that were OK except that
later they clearly weren't!! So that's good advice.

I've heard of Bell before when I road motor bikes so they have a long pedigree and the Venture looks a good deal.

Thanks.

Alembicbassman

Confused.com
The venture is universal fit 54-61cm. Unless your head is very small or very large it should fit fine. The disc at the back turns to take up the slack.

I'm 6ft 1 with a biggish head and there's still plenty of adjustment to allow for a winter cap under the helmet.

Rebel Ian

I have terrible trouble finding a helmet that's comfortable. It isn't helped by having no hair so natural padding is limited!! My one tip is don't assume the more expensive ones will be more comfortable. Just try lots and pick what feels good.

festival

Über Member
I've just put a mountain bike I was given back on the road with some new City tyres (with help from this forum) and I now need to buy a helmet

Thanks.

Be aware that different brands are shaped differently. eg the size may be the same in centimetres but some brands will suit certain shaped heads better than another.
bell & giro are owned by the same company, but giro tend to be a different fit than bell .
You can get a good price at halfrauds in the cheap to mid price range but depends on when you shop as they are constantly fiddling the prices up & down.

Top Bottom