Cycle hub security?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Carranty

Regular
Hey,

I'm fairly new to cycling and live in Manchester (outskirts). I'd like to use my bike to commute into town more often but am wary of leaving it unattended, even secured with a gold standard lock (It's worth around £1000).

I've just signed for a cycle hub membership which advertisers secure, lit, CCTV covered shelters bit I can't find any information as to how secure they actually are (crime rate statistics etc). I was just wondering what people's experiences of these hubs are, and if you'd feel confident leaving your bike in one for several hours on a regular basis.

Cheers.

Hey,

I'm fairly new to cycling and live in Manchester (outskirts). I'd like to use my bike to commute into town more often but am wary of leaving it unattended, even secured with a gold standard lock (It's worth around £1000).

I've just signed for a cycle hub membership which advertisers secure, lit, CCTV covered shelters bit I can't find any information as to how secure they actually are (crime rate statistics etc). I was just wondering what people's experiences of these hubs are, and if you'd feel confident leaving your bike in one for several hours on a regular basis.

Cheers.
In my experience, these city hubs are quite good as far as security goes. I used to get overly concerned about leaving my bike locked up for any period of time, if it wasn't within viewing distance, then I worked out that that was the best way to ruin a good ride, and now I don't worry too much. If you lock it properly with a good lock, opportunist thieves won't bother with it, they'll just keep looking for an easier target. Anyone who's really determined to get your bike, probably will find a way to get it, but hopefully will have enough of a job getting at it, to be disturbed in their efforts, and then there's only really the 'steal to order' thieves, of which there really aren't that many, and you would have to be very unlucky to encounter them. Keep a good lock or two with you, and get your bike insured, then don't worry, or know that worrying is about as effective as trying to solve an algebra equation by chewing bubble gum.

vickster

Legendary Member
Make sure it's fully insured. home insurance usually the cheapest way, but there'll likely be an excess

froze

Über Member
If you are really worried, and rightfully so since any lock, gold standard or not, can be overcome in less than 60 seconds, battery powered angle grinders will make mincemeat of any lock. So what to do you scream? I personally would buy a $300 or so used bike and park it instead then you won't be crying if your bike is stolen or the components stripped off. Insurance has a deductible too, something to think about.

KnackeredBike

I do my own stunts
This is basically the main reason wny I haven't ever bought a nicer bike. If I had one I'd want to ride it all the time (and the old one would suddenly feel "old").

When I'm out on a ride I like to stop as and when for whatever reason (mostly seeing someone I know and/or a cheeky pint). In the middle of Central London? Doesn't matter, you're on a bike and there are plenty of lampposts. You must surely lose that freedom if you have a bike worth stealing?

I did (shock horror) have a nice bike once. For one day. A receptionist promised to keep an eye on it whilst I popped in for twenty minutes and when I got back the bike was gone and the receptionist explained how by "keep an eye on it" she actually meant "do fud all".

Top Bottom