Cycle insurance whilst out and about

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Might have been a bike week offer - we certainly had it advertised through work, although I'm a BC member, as I don't have a beard and sandals..... :whistle::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::tongue::tongue::tongue::tongue::tongue::tongue::tongue:

Wiggle offer 15 months for 12 though...

StuartG

slower but further
Don't forget LCC - even if you don't live/work in London. Better concessionary rates than CTC for similar cover.

Crankarm

Guru
There seems to be a fundamental mis-understanding what 3rd party liability cover is. It is covering you against any other party claiming against you for loss, personal injury, damage to their property, etc. It does NOT cover any of the aforementioned which belong to YOU, theft or damage to your bike, or injury you have suffered yourself. It might be that the 3rd party cover is only operational when you are actually cycling although you would have to clarify with CTC whether the policy covers you for any 3rd party claim against you whether cycling related or not.
If you damage some one's vehicle whilst cycling and the other party claims against you for repairs or if you knock a pedestrian over then you will be covered, hopefully. If you do both of these then perhaps you should take a recognised cycle training course ;).

CTC will offer basic legal advice through the solicitors RJW that provide legal services for members. It will be predominantly specific to cycling issues although I am sure they would give you basic advice and should you wish to take your unrelated cycling matter further they may well act for you as a paying client if you were so willing to pursue the matter.

OP
OP
400bhp

400bhp

Guru
There seems to be a fundamental mis-understanding what 3rd party liability cover is. It is covering you against any other party claiming against you for loss, personal injury, damage to their property, etc. It does NOT cover any of the aforementioned which belong to YOU, theft or damage to your bike, or injury you have suffered yourself.

I am very clear what I want. :rolleyes:

jimboalee

TBH, I've never thought about 3rd party insurance on a bike. They're not motorised.

It would be much the same as "I need 3rd Party insurance because I might tread on someone's toe in Sainsbury's".

BSRU

A Human Being
TBH, I've never thought about 3rd party insurance on a bike. They're not motorised.

It would be much the same as "I need 3rd Party insurance because I might tread on someone's toe in Sainsbury's".

Considering the imported "no win no fee" lawyer culture you might find someone could sue you for something like that, some people can be that petty.

biking_fox

Guru
Like most insurance you're better off "self insuring" for all but the most disasterous of outcomes.

Do the maths on how much it will cost you in premiums vs how much you'd have to pay out. If the payout sum is somethign you could afford £500 say for some car paint. Then put an equivalent amount of the premium into a saving acc. Even with the rubbish rates thesedays you'll still be better off. Only for large sums like an entire building's contents is it worth paying an insurance company.

jimboalee

Considering the imported "no win no fee" lawyer culture you might find someone could sue you for something like that, some people can be that petty.

If someone did sue me for treading on their toe in Sainsbury's, they'd go on my list.

Oh, did I mention. If I ever get diagnosed with a terminal illness, I'm not going alone.

Crankarm

Guru
Like most insurance you're better off "self insuring" for all but the most disasterous of outcomes.

Do the maths on how much it will cost you in premiums vs how much you'd have to pay out. If the payout sum is somethign you could afford £500 say for some car paint. Then put an equivalent amount of the premium into a saving acc. Even with the rubbish rates thesedays you'll still be better off. Only for large sums like an entire building's contents is it worth paying an insurance company.

This thread has nothing to do with insuring your own assets. It concerned with insuring oneself from a claim by ANOTHER party against you. I doubt very much you could self insure against another party claiming for serious injury, medical and attendance care 24/7 for the rest of their life and loss of a lucrative job or livelihood. It would bankrupt you unless your name was Warren Buffet.

Crankarm

Guru

Cycling is probably inherently more risky than shopping in Sainsburys so having 3rd party insurance is very wise IMHO. If some one claimed against you and you did not have 3rd party insurance, then any assets you have could potenitally be sold to pay for any damages a court awarded the other party if they won the case against you. 3rd party insurance is actually very sensible unless you have no assets what so ever. People who have nothing aren't worth suing.

biking_fox

Guru
I doubt very much you could self insure against another party claiming for serious injury, medical and attendance care 24/7 for the rest of their life and loss of a lucrative job or livelihood. It would bankrupt you unless your name was Warren Buffet

And how are you going to cause that while cycling?

vikingcyclist

And how are you going to cause that while cycling?

Crashing into them? Clipping a pedestrian and knocking them off their feet? Causing them to jump back? Slipping on ice and knocking someone else over?

The cost of the third party insurance is very small, which reflects the chance of such an accident occurring. If it does occur then you will need that insurance. Accidents do happen.

We're not talking about £500 for a new paint job, but in the tens of thousands of pounds to compensate someone for wrecking their life. A claim for stepping on someone's toe in Sainsbury's would be frivolous and ignored, a claim for an old granny being knocked over and fracturing her hip would be perfectly valid, and expensive.

Crankarm

Guru
Crashing into them? Clipping a pedestrian and knocking them off their feet? Causing them to jump back? Slipping on ice and knocking someone else over?

The cost of the third party insurance is very small, which reflects the chance of such an accident occurring. If it does occur then you will need that insurance. Accidents do happen.

We're not talking about £500 for a new paint job, but in the tens of thousands of pounds to compensate someone for wrecking their life. A claim for stepping on someone's toe in Sainsbury's would be frivolous and ignored, a claim for an old granny being knocked over and fracturing her hip would be perfectly valid, and expensive.

+1.

At last some one apart from the OP and myself who actually understands what this thread is about.

Top Bottom