cycle insurance

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

e-rider

crappy member
I currently have M&S home and contents insurance; like many cyclists.

When I bought the policy it insured any number of bikes up to £4000 each. I had heard that they changed this, so when I renewed I asked the sales person and they assured me as an existing customer I'd keep this feature.

Anyway, I just found out that that wasn't true and my bikes have been insured for the last year for only up to £2000 each (no big problem really though although I don't like being given wrong info).

Anyway, I now no longer need home insurance; just contents insurance. The quote given by M&S was the same as full home and contents insurance but without bikes - which were £300 extra - WTF!

Another strange feature of the policy is that bikes under £1000 are covered but bikes worth 1p more than £1000 are not covered at all - absolute zero!

Anyway, my question is, what is the best insurance company to get combined contents and bike insurance? I have looked at a few and the terms/conditions are very confusing and most cover bikes only to £300 or require a huge extra cost and endless and impossible security conditions to be met.

vickster

Legendary Member
I am with the AA, Zurich I think. Covers unnamed bikes up to £1500. Over £1500 have to specify. Was the cheapest for me, contents including bikes and buildings but not obligatory

Further sweetener through quidco too. And free roadside cover for the car!

I am with the AA, Zurich I think. Covers unnamed bikes up to £1500. Over £1500 have to specify. Was the cheapest for me, contents including bikes and buildings but not obligatory

Further sweetener through quidco too. And free roadside cover for the car!
Careful with that AA cover, the sting comes in 12 months when you forget to cancel the free breakdown cover. Make a note in your diary.

vickster

Legendary Member
I am renewing with them but yes I do need to, especially as I have rac cover from when I bought the car and green flag through the bank!

MattDB

Über Member
I had cycle insurance for 5 years on one of my bikes - I never had to make a claim but thought it was useful to have anyway. I moved about a few times in that period and I didn't realise that a bike wasn't insured while not actually inside the house i.e. a locked outhouse or shed wouldn't be covered.

Broadside

Guru
[QUOTE 3248551, member: 45"]Just got my renewal quote from M&S. £493. Seeing as the AA are quoting £195 I think it's time for a change....[/QUOTE]
Yes, I've just renewed with the AA, £145 for buildings and contents, all bikes covered up to a max of £1500 per bike. They are covered within the house or in any outbuildings, also covered away from home so long as they are locked up. Seems like a pretty good policy on the face of it.

migrantwing

Veteran
Home contents insurance includes two bikes (value of £1600) covers within the property itself and/or a secured outbuilding cost us £112.51 for the year with dialdirect. We're covered for the value of up to £15,000 for the usual stuff like TV,'s, computers, clothes, furniture etc and some accidental damage such as flooding, electric fires etc. We don't have full home insurance as we rent this property. There's an excess of around £250-300 which just brings down your total monthly/annual payment.

Still don't know if it's the best policy, the worst, or indifferent. The jargon and T&C's makes no real sense. What they should do is print out YOUR personal plan on one single page listing what's covered for what value and what's not covered. Would make things a lot simpler.

Last edited:

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
[QUOTE 3248993, member: 45"]I've just rung M&S. They're hilarious. Not interested in selling me their cheaper, newer policy (which I'd already checked was half the price) he banged on instead about how great my current policy was as I was covered for single items out of the house for up to £15k per item.

So I'm going with the Co-op, the only insurer who will cover bikes up to £1k and don't insist on a £350 excess for escape of water on the house insurance.[/QUOTE]
Im with CIS ( part of the co op group) and they wont insure a bike worth over £500 . They do however cover my carpenters tools ( all risks ) for 5k :wacko:

migrantwing

Veteran
Im with CIS ( part of the co op group) and they wont insure a bike worth over £500 . They do however cover my carpenters tools ( all risks ) for 5k :wacko:

There are some really weird policies!!!

I want to look into getting insurance for damage/injury to my bike and myself and/or other vehicles and persons when out on my bike. It's all so confusing.

Last edited:
I'm just looking into this myself. Unsure of going with British Cycling, CTC or ETA Insurance.
ETA seem ok, and are quite good with their customer service, but also want to support one of our cycling bodies, just don't know if you buy the policy on top of your British Cycling subscription.

vickster

Legendary Member
Yes, BC don't provide insurance against theft or you killing the bike...they provide insurance against you damaging someone else's property and legal support if you have an accident that's not your fault ... but it's not an automatic payout by any means

Top Bottom