Cycle Insurance

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Until recently my household policy covered any cycle up to £2500 per cycle, more than adequate. Last summer I switched companies, from Northern Rock (!) to Norwich Union, who charge me £31.99 to include any bike up to £1500 (my road bike's replacement cost).

I had my Marin stolen a while back and had to claim and now Norwich Union do not want to add our recently acquired tandem to the policy. So I need good cycle insurance to cover, new for old, road bike (£1500), tandem (£1500 to replace) and a new Marin (£400) when I get it.

I've heard CTC are good but can't find any details on the website. Does anyone have suggestions. I'd like a new for old policy which also covers all the expensive bits like lights, computers etc that you don't think about until they go. The bikes are stored very securely in a locked, blockwork garage, chained to wall secured brackets etc. It's like Fort Knox!

Danny

Legendary Member
Sounds like you are getting a rubbish deal from Norwich Union. I have a household policy with Zurich and there has never been any problem insuring bikes on a new-for-old basis.

OP
OP
PaulSB

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Dannyg said:
Sounds like you are getting a rubbish deal from Norwich Union. I have a household policy with Zurich and there has never been any problem insuring bikes on a new-for-old basis.

Our policy with Northern Rock was very good, and very expensive. Norwich Union halved the cost. I think we made two claims in 20+ years, then as luck would have it in the first year with Norwich Union I had to make two claims in four days!!! Stolen cycle and flooded bathroom. They've been OK with the cycle so far but an absolute disaster with the bathroom. No problem about agreeing the claim but their appointed suppliers - Asprea and Mono Services - are an absolute joke. The level of communication is appalling. I'm sick to death of talking to nice ladies in Delhi who frankly haven't a clue what a bidet is!!!!!

PS - no problems with Asians, just Indian based call centres!!!!

bonj2

i'm not on m&s but am switching to them when my current one expires as have heard they are good in terms of settling a claim which is most important.

OP
OP
PaulSB

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Cathryn said:
Is it me or are Butterworth quite pricey? I got a quote for my bike (replacement from new roughly £1200) and it's £96 per annum.

Maybe I'm just tight...

Just tried a quote for my bikes:

Road bike - £1500 replacement cost premium £114.50
Tandem - £1500 replacement cost premium £85.50

Shortly I shall have a new Marin to add to the list!! ): and ;)

I think I'm going to go back to having an expensive household policy. By switching from Northern Rock to Norwich Union I saved £400 but those cycle quotes alone take up £200 of the saving and the household policy is not as good as it used to be. Plus Norwich Union are terrible to deal with, always used to get a nice freindly Geordie wiuth Northern Rock, now it's Delhi!! I always thought Northern Rock were very expensive. I'm beginning to understand why!!

Time to check out M&S?

andrew_s

Legendary Member
Cathryn said:
Is it me or are Butterworth quite pricey? I got a quote for my bike (replacement from new roughly £1200) and it's £96 per annum.

Maybe I'm just tight...

About 10% of bike value is normal for a bike-only policy.

If you insure bikes on a household policy, you have to check the small print, and also check that the household policy itself isn't considerably more than other policies that don't give good bike cover.

I don't insure bikes as I figure that the insurance companies are making a profit, and that it would thus cost me more in the long run than replacing the bike myself would.

davidwalton

andrew_s said:
I don't insure bikes as I figure that the insurance companies are making a profit, and that it would thus cost me more in the long run than replacing the bike myself would.

That's OK if you have the money to replace your bike.

Yes, other than that, I agree to that method. Assuming there isn't insurance at a reasonable cost somewhere.

Alternatively, the Government could do something about the high percentage of thefts. Hey, but I am sure they are far too busy with important things to care about the constant theft risk. The little darlings need to have something to do after all, and it does keep them out of prison;)!

GrahamG

Guru
Though it is expensive, the level of cover with M&S is simply outstanding. It was the smallest policy booklet I've ever had (wasn't worded in such a way as to avoid every possible claim!) and anecdotal evidence from a few claimants on here/bike radar tells me that they are good to deal with in the event of making a claim. Speak to them on the phone though as I found their (UK) call centre staff very knowledgable and able to explain the policy better than the website does.

Top Bottom