Cycle lane protest in Clevedon.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member

Drago

Legendary Member
World hunger, war in Ukraine, the country in economic turmoil, not one of them lifts a finger.

Stop them parking their cars in a particular orientation and they're out in force.

icowden

Veteran
I used to live in the next bay south. That's a brilliant place for a cycle lane and I've little time for the disingenuous drivers saying bicycles are out of keeping with a Victorian resort but modern cars look fine there.
This is apparently what they don't like. The "yellow" stripe and the reduction in parking.:-

0_yellow-brick-road-2JPG.jpg

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
Anyone else not see the absurdity of what is essentially a "drive-thru" Sea view anyway? Whether that's the case here or not, The seasides are littered with them. Why don't they get out of their vehicles and take a few steps? Have some fresh air, take a little walk maybe? They can't all be sitting there, with there engines running with the heaters on, looking at the sea from behind a windscreen? Can they?

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
Isn't the argument more the reduction of parking numbers that the changes create, and the impact on trade, rather than the cycle lane or direction of parking per se?

It is one argument mentioned. But then the cost of it is specifically mentioned but fail to mention that it was funded by a grand from Government and not necessarily paid for by local tax payers, if indeed that was the intended insinuation.

It doesn't actually seem that many of the bays faced out towards the sea anyway. Here's the old system pre-development. Around 20 spaces that i can see that face the front.

142242.ece%2FALTERNATES%2Fs615b%2F4_GH120818banksy.jpg

I've had a quick look at the consultation the council did with the public on the entire development including parking on the sea front which was something that was complained about and the council tried to rectify.

Notably:
Concern: Preserve views towards the sea.

Council: We removed the planters that were deemed hard to maintain and used cycle stands to discourage vehicles from parking, provided as many openings to the sea as possible and provided loading or disabled bays in front of businesses, as less likely to be constantly occupied. Due to loading requirements, it was not possible to maintain echelon parking bays due to the width required.

Also, in total there were a net gain of +5 parking spaces in total post development as noted:

Car parking: We are aware that car parking is a sensitive issue in the area, and this is reflected in the consultation responses. We will provide more parking space across the area as a whole. There will be a net gain of five parking spaces including new disabled and loading bays. The Hawthorns Car Park will be made more prominent through better wayfinding signage and potential re-branding to help identify it with The Beach area.

https://n-somerset.inconsult.uk/gf2.ti/-/1249250/111598213.1/PDF/-/Clevedon You said we did 270821 v4.pdf

I think this could be a case of not being able to please all people, all of the time.

Jameshow

Veteran
I cannot see why OAP in the main cannot park facing the sea.
The cyclepath could be put on the pavement and the ugly fat yellow line is a blot on the landscape.
Serious cyclists aren't going to use it anyway and leasure cyclists can cycle on the pavement.

If we put more and more cycle paths in motorists forget how to behave around cyclists and we end up with a lack of respect and those if us who don't cycle on paths get an earful.

Next we will have cycle paths all over the Yorkshire dales!!

Just my point of view!

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
What does a 'serious' cyclist look like? I ride a cycle as transport day in day out, wouldn't be seen dead in lycra or a plastic hat and I will, won't use a cycle path depending how I feel at the time. Does thst mean I'm not a 'serious' cyclist. The whole point is to encourage people out of the polluting tin boxes and promote less car use.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Did the council manage to raise some funds by ticketing all the cars that parked on the cycle lane?
Sadly not because that requires a solid white line, double yellows, kerb or one of a number other things, none of which were done there. The "heritage buff" surfacing isn't sufficient.

Given the lunatics calling it yellow, they should go back and paint the thing full London CS blue and see if any protester bots are silenced by blowing a fuse!

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I cannot see why OAP in the main cannot park facing the sea.
The cyclepath could be put on the pavement and the ugly fat yellow line is a blot on the landscape.
Serious cyclists aren't going to use it anyway and leasure cyclists can cycle on the pavement.
Let's get this straight: you're saying because "serious" cyclists are going to be going fast somewhere else, not pedalling along the seafront, that OAPs (and others) walking and cycling along the seafront should be given less space and made to compete for that space, because they're less important than allowing motorists not to turn their heads to look out to sea when parked? 😲

And anyone who calls that beige (officially "buff") yellow is colourblind.

If we put more and more cycle paths in motorists forget how to behave around cyclists and we end up with a lack of respect and those if us who don't cycle on paths get an earful.
Because motorists currently behave so well around cyclists, respect us and don't give us an earful if we do use cycleways? :laugh: Pull the other one, it's got bells on!

Next we will have cycle paths all over the Yorkshire dales!!
And what's wrong with that? We have cycle paths all over the dales: they're called minor roads and just need to motorists booting off them except for residents.

Just my point of view!
And a view shared by Vlad's bots.

Top Bottom