Cycle lane protest in Clevedon.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
I tell you what annoys me about cul-de-sacs - virtually every single one is designed with either turning bays or a turning circle, yet they're inevitably rammed full of selfishly parked cars. Probably the same sort of driver that thinks it is jolly to park on a cycle route just to make a point.

I mean, their rather pathetic argument is with the carncil so why drag us into it?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Absolutely, but it seems to be a problem that pedestrians have 'increased confidence' and are prepared to leap out in front of vehicles when they really shouldn't.
Go on: why shouldn't they?

Sounds to me like the answer is for the roads policing unit to, er, police the road there, not to make the road look like the motorists have priority. The council shouldn't have to festoon the town with belisha beacons or expensive traffic lights to do a basic footway crossing.

Or if the police won't police, close that turning to most motorists if they won't drive properly and make westbound through traffic have to go all the way round ruddy Roughton and Holt Road!

Fastpedaller

Go on: why shouldn't they?

Sounds to me like the answer is for the roads policing unit to, er, police the road there, not to make the road look like the motorists have priority. The council shouldn't have to festoon the town with belisha beacons or expensive traffic lights to do a basic footway crossing.

Or if the police won't police, close that turning to most motorists if they won't drive properly and make westbound through traffic have to go all the way round ruddy Roughton and Holt Road!

You are correct - I am not disagreeing with you; however, being realistic, if pedestrians just wander across roads as if they are pedestrianised areas there may be extra injuries/deaths Whatever the rights and wrongs of it, putting in a 'crossing' which encourages pedestrians to think they are safer is folly.
Remember the 'green cross code' - It's for the preservation of pedestrians (whatever our views are on poor motorists). We are, I'm sure, aware of the dangers posed by pedestrians with their eyes on their 'phones and crossing the road without any care. ALL road user (including pedestrians) need to take care. If you've ridden your bike along the quayside at Wells-Next-The-Sea you may have encountered pedestrians who don't realise it's a road, and even if you are on a bike at only 12MPH some of the pedestrians are very unpredictable.

Top Bottom