Cycle lane

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Sheffield_Tiger said:
Is it something to do with targets and having to install so many metres of cycle lanes in order to qualify for funding for a new canteen in the town hall, or something like that?

Personally I think we should have minimum standards fro cycle facilities to prevent this, however saying that it is a Colossus compared to this one in Portsmouth... and note the illegal parking that is mandatory for Portsmouth cycle facilities

Isn't that the one linked in the very first post?

/edit - no idea why but I saw the first one as I clicked the link in my email...

boydj

Legendary Member
I'm with Tynan

I do have the advantage of having done a couple longish runs that took in that area.

First thing I can say is that that particular piece of lane is not typical of the lanes round Liverpool - I'd guess somebody though it might help cyclists turning left, but it is pretty pointless.

What I found is that there a several signposted cycle routes round the suburbs of Liverpool. There are some fairly good cycle lanes - but not strictly necessary since the roads are very quiet and some have traffic calming (though I did not use them at rush hour, so I don't know if any are rat runs). There are other areas with cycles painted on the road, but no marked lane, which is the right way to go. And there are signposted routes with no markings at all.

I'd certainly put Liverpool ahead of Glasgow in their cycle provision and the drivers seem to be a bit better behaved too.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Some lanes are short to help us be positioned safely for turning such as THIS ONE on Winchester road in Southampton

However the downside I often find is that drivers coming from the opposite direction try and squeeze 2 lanes out when it should be one. They then end up blocking the lane. A driver did this to me last week. Because of heavy traffic to my left I had to sit in front of his bonnet ad wait for a safe time to pass. I think I made my point quite well with this little action rather than words. ;)

My favourite is this one. The broken line to the right is a cycle lane which leads to the ASL. What it fails to take into account is that the road narrows significantly just past the white van so traffic waiting at the lights is forced into the gutter and generally leaves very little room for filtering on the left when it's busy. However the presence of the cycle lane means that most cyclists try to filter down the left when there really isn't enough room and end up getting stuck/having to scoot along the pavement/annoy motorists by nearly hitting their mirrors.

To make it worse the junction is left turn only as well.

dondare

Über Member
Tynan said:
I'm all for them, any space is space that cars should stay out of

granted that bit is very odd to say the least

The problem with cycle lanes is that some drivers expect cyclists to stay on their own side of the line.

jimboalee

The short cycle lane on the OP's Streetview is opposite a bus stop. The bus stop is right outside The Protestant Martyrs Memorial Church.

On occassions, there might be a bus stopped there for quite a time waiting for the people of the church to board.
When there is a bus occupying the bus stop, the cycle lane gives cyclists PRIORITY over motor traffic to pass the stationary bus.

Good on you, Liverpool.

jimboalee said:
The short cycle lane on the OP's Streetview is opposite a bus stop. The bus stop is right outside The Protestant Martyrs Memorial Church.

Which just proves that cycle lanes and martyrdom are closely linked.

Will1985

Über Member
jimboalee said:

On occassions, there might be a bus stopped there for quite a time waiting for the people of the church to board.
When there is a bus occupying the bus stop, the cycle lane gives cyclists PRIORITY over motor traffic to pass the stationary bus.

Good on you, Liverpool.
My thoughts too - just had to scan the thread first I was was going to post the same. The alternative could perhaps have been a double yellow to prevent parking - anybody travelling in the NW direction would have priority over somebody trying to overtake the bus....perhaps misses out the 'safety' aspect of the lane if a car did try to push past the bus.

on the road

Über Member
That looks dangerous to me. If there's a bus stopped at the bus stop and there's cars going in both directions, they're both going to try to get passed squeezing the cyclist.

OP
OP
A

alasdairgf

Ah, now it makes sense to me. Thanks for the explanation... actually didn't even know there was a bus route down that road, have never actually seen one there (though apparently they're twice an hour, so that must just be sheer luck on my part!).

Top Bottom