Cycle lanes and going the right way

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

paul04

Über Member
Today (my day off work) thought I would ride into Manchester to the computer shop as I needed a network hub.
On the way back, on a busy road I was in the cycle lane, then I had to look twice as I seen an old guy riding his bike towards me also in the cycle lane, about 10 yards way I shout to him,
What are you doing, your in the wrong lane, you should be on the other side of the road,
His reply, **** off, its a cycle lane
I did reply saying "yes a cycle lane going with the flow of traffic" he just blanked me and carried on.

Now the cycle lane was not wide enough to over take without going on to the road (which he did) into on coming traffic and he did not care less.

Now was I right to say he should have been on the other side of the road, in the correct cycle lane.
And these were cycle lanes, as part of the road, not cycle lanes on the pavement.

Round here there are cycle lanes that are 2 way... and I have come across them in plenty of other countries where they are 2 way cycle lanes in the road against the flow of traffic and I have to say at first it was disconcerting to be cycling up a 'one-way street' against the flow of traffic.

mind you there was one on my old commute that used to have me cycling up a slip road, against the flow of traffic (them) going onto the A3 (national speed limit area) on the wrong side of the slip lane (so me cycling on the right with the cars coming down the slip road at 70mph and I used to cycle passed 2 police officers in a patrol car each and every morning doing this! All that separated me from the cars was a single solid white line...

Yes, he could of had a nasty shock if he was going round a corner and someone went straight into him, clearly he was too lazy to cross the road and use the right cycle lane.

D

Deleted member 23692

There are always reports of old duffers going the wrong way down a motorway, so going the wrong way down a bike lane doesn't surprise me in the slightest

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
There's something similar down in London where the cycle lane is sent down the wrong side of a one way street and it can be a bit of a guessing game when you come across a cyclist who's assumed that the cyclesuperhighway on their side of the road is the correct route. You have to be ready to swing out into on coming traffic in a one way street.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Cabl...noid=8JN2ZBMrB4ujXQVVf79qNA&cbp=12,52.66,,0,0

snorri

Legendary Member
Now was I right to say he should have been on the other side of the road, in the correct cycle lane.
Yes, you were right.
I don't know the location, but you must have been right, if the lane had been intended for two way cycle traffic it would have been made wide enough for two way traffic.

OP
OP
paul04

paul04

Über Member
Not the best shot of the road but at least it will give you a idea
(me the red arrow) the old man is the blue arrow
and this was on alan turing way in Manchester

oldgit.jpg

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Damned salmons :laugh: .

Sandra6

Veteran
I've always assumed you go with the flow of the traffic, but here the cycle paths have a habit of abruptly ending.
I did see a bloke last week cycling the wrong way on a green cycle path down the road (I was on the pavement) and when the cycle path ran out he just kept cycling straight into the path of a bus, when he quickly joined the pavement. Idiot!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Alan Turing Way - best place is on the road - that's not the segregated bit is it, just after. I never use the cycle lane on that Road. The nobber was in the wrong.

Top Bottom