Cycle lanes and negotiation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

snorri

Legendary Member
A quote from a Galway cycling campaign paper.

What is the function of cycle tracks/lanes?
Modern cycle tracks first began to be constructed on behalf of the car lobby in Germany and Holland in the 1920s. The UK car lobby adopted the idea in the 1930s. Cyclists were to be forced off the roads "for their own good" so that motorists could have high speed routes free of cyclists. At many locations this remains the primary function of cycle lanes and tracks.

So is there a role for cycle tracks/lanes in urban areas?
Yes, but only if they are meticulously designed and intended to solve some clearly defined problem. For instance cycleways (roads dedicated to cyclists) are extremely useful where they provide more direct routes or handy shortcuts. Cycle lanes/hard shouler markings might be useful if used to give cyclists more, rather than less, road space but this might be difficult for motorists to understand. At many locations simply enforcing parking restrictions could provide more space. Any local authority that constructs "cycle facilities" merely for the purpose of constructing 2cycle facilities" is just creating more problems for cyclists and ultimately adding to traffic congestion.

magnatom said:
Hey HLaB, could you offer your services for cheep (i.e. free?) :biggrin:
Unfortunately I don't meet the standards for the UK system :sad:

snorri

Legendary Member
HLaB said:
For a trunk Road project they are compulsory.
Compulsory on paper, but still not done on all Transport Scotland schemes. The last consultation meeting I attended and asked to see the cycle audit there was some mumbling and a comment that as there weren't many cyclists anyway, they hadn't done an audit.:biggrin:

snorri said:
Compulsory on paper, but still not done on all Transport Scotland schemes. The last consultation meeting I attended and asked to see the cycle audit there was some mumbling and a comment that as there weren't many cyclists anyway, they hadn't done an audit.:biggrin:

A cycle audit is slightly different from a road safety audit. A RSA is compulsory but the problem is it may not be carried out by an engineer that specifically considers cycling. The cycle audit is more of a tick box measure and as you say is not always carried out; I know in the A8 upgrade scheme it was only carried out in retrospect it should be an integral part of the design process.

Matthames

Über Member
magnatom said:
In fact, has this ever happened? Has a council ever been found negligent in its design of a cycle lane, or indeed in it's design of a road?

We should find out soon enough: http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/8112747.Hove_cyclist_sues_council_after_fall_in_cycle_lane/

Tinuts

Wham Bam Helmet Cam
dondare said:
There is no such thing as a good cycle lane. They should all be removed and the right that cyclists have to use the whole road rather than the painted bits should be recognized.
+1 with one exception: replace recognised with enforced.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
We have a cycle lane that jumps of the kerb into traffic, i never use it even on the rare occasion that i go that way and regularly see cars parked in it ,including police cars nipping to the paper shop.

The part that is on the footpath is the usual mix of path ,kerbs and debris.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&s...noid=ABLCiy-1-MPaCVHrmHMrAg&cbp=12,32.54,,1,5

Another good example, the cyclepath runs along the A38 where according to signage you cannot cycle on, yet the cycle lane ends under a bridge and then restarts on the other side ...
And what path there is is covered in gravel, glass and other crap which the highways agency have not removed even when i complained about it.

(dammit they did not take a photo of that bit )

buggi

Bird Saviour
You know... the way you have written this argument against cycle lanes is probably one of the best ways i've heard it put. You've hit the nail exactly on the head, and i'm going to use this when i right to my MP about why i think cycle lanes should be scrapped.

Top Bottom