Cycle lanes are dangerous - or is it the idiot that uses them that is dangerous?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Number14

Guru
I was quite happily cycling along in a cycle lane, slowly passing a couple of lorries when I approached a bush that was overhanging the cycle lane. At the same point, a gentleman in his car decided that the lane he was in wasn't wide enough and decided that we wanted to drive in the cycle lane, right next to the bush. As I passed in the almost non-existent gap I turned to see him texting on his phone and indicated to him that he shouldn't be driving and using the mobile.

Then the world stops - or I stop, as I face plant into the back of the car in front. :blush:

Cue a couple of minutes of not knowing what's happening and then the lovely lady gets out of her car to ask how I am. Bless her :tongue:. After some reassurances we both go on our way relatively happy and I go and get the life threatening wounds on my hand dressed.

Moral of the story: If some idiot pulls into the cycle lane while using his phone, don't turn around to make comments/gestures to him - unless you make sure that the traffic in front is moving. :smile:

The video will be posted when I get home.

Cylce lanes are dangerous.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Oops!! Much sympathy.

dondare

Über Member
In my opinion cycle lanes are dangerous in more ways and for more reasons than I can be bothered to say right now.
Ignore green paint, use the road just as you would if no lane was marked.

OP
OP
Number14

Number14

Guru
dondare said:
In my opinion cycle lanes are dangerous in more ways and for more reasons than I can be bothered to say right now.

It was red paint and that should have given me a clue - video upload tonight to provide even more mirth for you. ;)

dondare

Über Member
Number14 said:
It was red paint and that should have given me a clue - video upload tonight to provide even more mirth for you. :smile:

Ignore red paint also if it denotes a cycle lane.

Origamist

Legendary Member
dondare said:

The cycle lane issue is a red-herring here. The problem was a driver using his phone whilst driving and a cyclist gesticulating to the driver when he should have been looking where he was going!

I hope you're OK No 14 and it's only your pride that's taken a knock.

dondare

Über Member
Origamist said:
The cycle lane issue is a red-herring here. The problem was a driver using his phone whilst driving and a cyclist gesticulating to the driver when he should have been looking where he was going!

I hope you're OK No 14 and it's only your pride that's taken a knock.

That as well.

Ste T.

Guru
If you go to the " Gobshites using their phones while driving ...Chat " website and go to the commuting forum you'll find him posting about it now. Oh how he laughed. And all the other gobshites will be piling in to give you a good kicking, saying you deserved it.!!

oh whoopee yet another chance to bash cycle lanes again when the actual real danger was the mobile phone user yet again.Just lets not get blinkered with our hate of cycle lanes as usual which only one boarder managed to pick up on and i had realised before origamist had posted but to which i couldnt comment on earlier.

dondare

Über Member
hackbike 666 said:
oh whoopee yet another chance to bash cycle lanes again when the actual real danger was the mobile phone user yet again.Just lets not get blinkered with our hate of cycle lanes as usual which only one boarder managed to pick up on and i had realised before origamist had posted but to which i couldnt comment on earlier.

Mobile phone users are an ever-present danger on all roads.

Cycle-lanes can entice cyclists to the edges of the road when a more central position might be safer.
Cycle-lanes are more likely to be obstructed (for instance, by overhanging vegitation) than the rest of the carriageway.
These factors may have contributed to the accident.

In any case, the title of the thread invites comments on cycle-lanes. My comments will always very critical.

OP
OP
Number14

Number14

Guru
Number14 said:
Moral of the story: If some idiot pulls into the cycle lane while using his phone, don't turn around to make comments/gestures to him - unless you make sure that the traffic in front is moving. :becool:

Cylce lanes are dangerous.

hackbike 666 said:
oh whoopee yet another chance to bash cycle lanes again when the actual real danger was the mobile phone user yet again.

He was a contributory factor but I admit it was my fault for not watching the traffic. I'll learn from this episode so this morning wasn't wasted. And, if I hadn't had the crash, I would have been one of my fastest ever commutes. :biggrin:

Origamist

Legendary Member
I know you had a grass verge escape route, but I'd not be going up the inside of two HGVs with a junction on my left approaching.

Were you hurt?

Top Bottom