Cycle Lanes - for cyclists?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
No too much empathy juding by some of these replies - I find that quite surprising. Swearing at a woman? - no swearing at someone who was most certainly in the wrong.

Cyclists are a slightly strange bunch. Many of us think that it is us that are uniquely singled out for abuse. It is actually not true at all, peds and joggers in particular get a lot of abuse shouted at them. On that basis this lady doesn't need someone else adding to the already considerable levels she already receives.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation

Not the most useful post ever is it? If this is the standard we have to deal with it's no wonder that people regard commuting and general cycling as a cesspit.

Your comparison of middle of the road is not that applicable in my view for two blindingly obvious reasons. Firstly motorists frequently complain about pedestrians just crossing the road - which they are entitled to do. Secondly they actually frequently complain about them walking in the road, something which they are also entitled to do, but even told how to do in the highway code when there is no pavement...

Be polite, courteous and allow them to pass.

On my commute there is a small "fitness company" who has their customers jogging in a group, across both pedestrian and cycle routes.

I show the ultimate courtesy of stopping to allow them to pass. Which for some reason really annoys them as it blocks half of the group who then have to move into double file to get by.

In turn this makes it worthwhile!

lukesdad

As
Am I missing something?

Out for my weekend ride this morning, going along nicely in a cycle lane, with only a grass verge at the side - no pavement. A few hundred yards ahead I can see a jogger running towards me, in the cycle lane. I assume they will get out of my way as I get closer and just go on the grass verge until I pass. The closer I got, I realised she was not going to get out of the way. When we were just a matter of yards apart, I moved out of the cycle lane - or we would have collided cos she was going nowhere!

No big deal, you might say. But that was one dangerous game of chicken she was playing. As far as I'm concerned she was well out of order and deserved the expletive she received. Or, am I missing some bizarre rule or standard of etiquette?[/quote
As Crackle has explained the rule your missing is who has priority, what driving a BMW or Audi has to do with it, only Adrian and gaz know that !

Norm

Am I missing something?
Yes, you are missing an understanding of the Highway Code and an ounce of courtesy.

No too much empathy juding by some of these replies - I find that quite surprising. Swearing at a woman? - no swearing at someone who was most certainly in the wrong.
Empathy for an arrogant road user? No thanks.

Pedestrians have priority.

Without pavements, pedestrians should walk / run towards the traffic (If there is no pavement keep to the right-hand side of the road so that you can see oncoming traffic), so she should be running exactly where she was running.

Swearing at another human is generally not a good thing, but doing so when you are in the wrong is a definite "cyclist fail", IMO,

boydj

Legendary Member
You have no idea of the state of the grass verge - whether it's bumpy, hard, soft or safe and level. If that had been me running towards you when I was training for marathons, you would have been on the receiving end of some strong language for acting like a pillock. The runner was fully entitled to be where she was, just as you are fully entitled to use as much of the carriageway as you need when cars are trying to overtake you.

MrHappyCyclist

Riding the Devil's HIghway
Your comparison of middle of the road is not that applicable in my view for two blindingly obvious reasons. Firstly motorists frequently complain about pedestrians just crossing the road - which they are entitled to do. Secondly they actually frequently complain about them walking in the road, something which they are also entitled to do, but even told how to do in the highway code when there is no pavement...
Just as some cyclists complain about them walking in the cycle lane which they are perfectly entitled to do.

Moss

I hope you fall off your bike next time out; for speaking to a lady in that manner! GET A LIFE; and learn to share your space with others.

Top Bottom