Cycle Lanes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BUR70N

I like cycle lanes they are good, help you get passed the queues of traffic on the road, but they can be more hassle than they are worth.

Commuting last year on my old Langster I was getting no end of punctures where by the wife said get another bike, great I thought and I did. But what was the cause for these punctures? The fact that road cycle lanes just don't seem to get cleaned as much, traffic generally cleans the road moving the stones and crap out of the way of normal lines of the roads which then gets washed away with the rain etc.

But I am finding that cycle lanes on roads are worse than just riding on a road without, seems to be a bigger spread of crap in the lane. Of course it would improve if the road sweepers came out more often, but they don't appear to.

Yes this is a rant and I feel better for getting this off my chest, you may agree or not..

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Cycle Lanes?
Hate them....get rid of them...usually full of crap as you have found out, or they go nowhere.

OP
OP
BUR70N

BUR70N

Yup, agree there or are only for a short section of road where cars filter in at the end and then just filter into that lane early!

BSRU

A Human Being
There are no off road cycle lanes in Swindon, despite the information to the contrary from the local council, Sustrans and the local CTC representative. They are all shared paths with pedestrians having priority and apart from the few hundred metres I have to use(crap road design) I avoid them like the plague.
The very few on road cycle lanes actually mark out where a cyclist should not be cycling, especially on the approach to roundabouts.

Top Bottom