cycle lanes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
From Oban heading eastwards most cyclists use the pavement to Dunbeg and I have never heard of anyone being bothered. It is possible to go out to Ganavan and there is a shared use path to Dunbeg. However the most dangerous bit from Dunbeg to Connel has no path and is on a not very wide and fast stretch of road. There is a proposal to get a path in this missing section since a lot of staff and students at the marine sciences centre and Argyll College commute by bike but no time scale as yet.
Mebbe I am just chicken nowadays but I would not like to cycle the missing link.
I only cycled that stretch of road once, very early on a Saturday on the way to catch a ferry to Mull for my forum ride. It wasn't too bad then but I can see that busy times would not be nice.

After that, I started going the scenic route via Ardconnel. Perhaps not something one would want to do twice a day commuting though?

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I only cycled that stretch of road once, very early on a Saturday on the way to catch a ferry to Mull for my forum ride. It wasn't too bad then but I can see that busy times would not be nice.

After that, I started going the scenic route via Ardconnel. Perhaps not something one would want to do twice a day commuting though?
I drove that road a couple of times last week and it would have been not too bad since traffic levels are fairly low but with 60mph traffic both ways in normal summer conditions frightening. There are commuters who go into Dunbeg and have no option but certainly not my choice. My son commuted into Oban by the back road when he worked there and he obviously got very fit as it is a bit hilly coming back from Oban to Connel. I have never heard of any pedal cyclists being hit there but there are numerous car accidents and at least one fatal motorcyclist incident in recent years.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Is that on the main road or up on the back road?

The back road is exactly the kind of thing that I like - narrow (with passing places), lumpy, and scenic.
The back road is part of the recognised cycle route and never heard of any incidents there unless the main A85 is shut due to an accident when those with no idea about single track try to use it and end up in the ditch thereby blocking the road completely.
It is a nice run from Connel to Taynuilt but a steep climb back up at Taynuilt.
There are numerous accidents on the A85 between Taynuilt and Oban.
There is a major housing development planned for Dunbeg which while increasing traffic should give a better access to the A85 which currently is a T junction with no priorities and entrance on to a fast traffic road.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
The back road is part of the recognised cycle route and never heard of any incidents there unless the main A85 is shut due to an accident when those with no idea about single track try to use it and end up in the ditch thereby blocking the road completely.
It amazes me how a driver will drive past a passing place straight towards an oncoming vehicle! What do they think will happen - that the other driver will reverse all the way back to their last passing place?

It is a nice run from Connel to Taynuilt but a steep climb back up at Taynuilt.
If you mean Glen Lonan - yes, I thought that was lovely.

There are numerous accidents on the A85 between Taynuilt and Oban.
I really did NOT like that stretch of road. I wanted to ride on to the visitor centre at Loch Awe but decided against it!

As we have mentioned before, there are some very good cycle paths built or being built from Oban towards Fort William.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Possibly you don't see the message here .... Cycle lanes are good, but compulsory use of cycle lanes is bad. Especially when full of police cars and road works ??
Go and read the OP. He's commenting on cyclepaths around roundabouts and that's what I'm replying to. OP isn't talking about compulsory use, nor am I. So I have no idea what you're on about

Top Bottom