cycle lanes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
up in North Wales where I live, we have some strange cycle lanes.
I mean, some of them start just before a roundabout and finish just after the roundabout! I take it the idea is that cyclists dont actually go on the roundabout.
Another case of H&S gone mad and treating adults like little kids.
Needless to say, I ignore these cycle lanes and proceed on the roundabout like a big boy.

sabian92

Über Member
There's a cycle lane near the Arndale that is literally 3 inches long - just so cyclists can get into the ASL!

Some proper daft ones where I live as well. Some are there but ignored - I'm waiting to be at one and use the "This area is for bikes, and you are in a car so you must be a bike?" line and see their reaction! :biggrin: Bit silly really - there aren't actually many where I live but the ones that are, cars ignore them!

Dewi

Veteran
Often when the councils are putting in things like new roundabout, junctions or bridges they will include a section of cycle path to give potential for future links

Holdsworth

Über Member
Here in Crewe we have what must count as the shortest cycle lane anywhere! On the A530 Middlewich Road opposite Pyms Lane, it is a bit of red tarmac on a driveway and has a bike symbol and right turn arrow pointing to the road, this is supplemented by a cycle path sign on a pole. I will get a pic up as soon as I go past that way again with a camera.

Unlike [url="http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&tab=wl"]this one[/url] that goes all the way around the outside
rolleyes.gif

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
up in North Wales where I live, we have some strange cycle lanes.
I mean, some of them start just before a roundabout and finish just after the roundabout! I take it the idea is that cyclists dont actually go on the roundabout.
Another case of H&S gone mad and treating adults like little kids.
Needless to say, I ignore these cycle lanes and proceed on the roundabout like a big boy.
There are lots of occasional cyclists and families for whom a roundabout would be a no-go area for cycling. So a cycle lane for them to get around it slowly but safely is a good thing
Regular cyclists like you and me are fine handling roundabouts but a lot of less experienced people on bikes aren't. Maybe if we saw cycle path construction from the perspective of a family bike ride with young children we would have a different opinion?

icowden

Veteran
I think you have to be pragmatic sometimes and choose the best and safest course for you and the way you are cycling.
There is a lot of cycling infrastructure where the approving board should be made to cycle it repeatedly until they get the message that it is utterly moronic.
The designers are often having to squeeze things into where they don't fit in order to tick a box, or are designing from the point of view of the car.
There is also the consideration that some infrastructure is more designed for those who are cautious or slow, rather than a full on 25mph MAMIL.

For example in my humble home town of Walton on Thames we have a cycle lane that was installed along the length of terrace road. This drew the ire of countless elderly people and many arguments about how it would reduce the speed of traffic and cause traffic jams. Of course it doesn't. They just made the road a bit narrower. On the whole it isn't bad. Some parts are "shared" and others are segregated. But every time there is a change and at every junction there is a 3 foot metal bollard on the pavement. There is an area by the zebra crossing that creates a slalom.

Then you have all of the side roads that cross the lane, some of which are just dangerous. For example at Sidney road, the crossing point for cycles is so far round the corner that it is almost impossible to see whether anything is about to run you over.

That said, it is ideal for children to get up the hill safely and for those who are slow cyclists, although many elderly cyclists around here would rather put out their own eyes and eat their own livers than use the accursed cycle lane. They can be easily identified by the cacophony of car horns from the traffic backed up behind them (traffic which would be stopped at the main town centre traffic lights less than a minute later!).

I use it a lot with my kids, and it is very beneficial for all the children travelling to the two primary schools. It could just be *better*. A Lot Better.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
From Oban heading eastwards most cyclists use the pavement to Dunbeg and I have never heard of anyone being bothered. It is possible to go out to Ganavan and there is a shared use path to Dunbeg. However the most dangerous bit from Dunbeg to Connel has no path and is on a not very wide and fast stretch of road. There is a proposal to get a path in this missing section since a lot of staff and students at the marine sciences centre and Argyll College commute by bike but no time scale as yet.
Mebbe I am just chicken nowadays but I would not like to cycle the missing link.

Landsurfer

Veteran
There are lots of occasional cyclists and families for whom a roundabout would be a no-go area for cycling. So a cycle lane for them to get around it slowly but safely is a good thing
Regular cyclists like you and me are fine handling roundabouts but a lot of less experienced people on bikes aren't. Maybe if we saw cycle path construction from the perspective of a family bike ride with young children we would have a different opinion?

Possibly you don't see the message here .... Cycle lanes are good, but compulsory use of cycle lanes is bad. Especially when full of police cars and road works ??

Top Bottom