Cycle Lanes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The cycle lane is only there to make the rest of the road look narrower, it's not put there for cyclists.
The pinch point is merely the effective road width the planners wanted in the first place, so no need for the lane there.

Sorry, I've got me cynical head on again today
cursing.gif

Mad at urage

I think* this was kind of my point it would make primary legitimate, as opposed to what the hell is that cyclist doing slowing me down. I think as cyclists primary is a well known riding tactic, but I would hestiate a guess that most mororists assume it is arrogance and that we should be clipping the kerb to allow them to make good progress.

Motorists do indeed assume that: A few weeks ago I had a discussion with one on the IAM members site, who genuinely believed that cyclists were supposed to stop at any obstruction and wait for all the motor traffic to go through/past, before continuing: Because that was what he'd been taught to do as a child. To his credit, he did take on board the idea that cyclists have a right to use the roads to 'make progress' and that both Bikeability and the IAM's own cycle training teach people how to do that; it wasn't his starting point though!

It is possible to teach some drivers their ideas are misguided, but only the ones who already want to learn.

The cycle lane is only there to make the rest of the road look narrower, it's not put there for cyclists.
The pinch point is merely the effective road width the planners wanted in the first place, so no need for the lane there.

cursing.gif
That's not particularly cynical, it's practically what Richard Mann (for example) has admitted to on this forum!

Dora

cursing.gif

Sadly, I don't think that's as cynial as it looks. I've been told by quite a few people who 'should' be in the know about these things, (Speed awareness instructor, IAM group rep, driving instructor, civil engineer, etc.) that cycle lanes are primarily a traffic calming method.
The fact that most cycle facilities are fine where the road is straight and wide, then stop where they're most useful (dumping you on the wrong side of a dual carriageway, or off the pavement straight onto a busy roundabout) backs up this fact for me.

Unfortunately, the more money 'they' spend on roads, the greater the sense of entitlement the driver feels.

Can’t find a picture on line but the cycle lanes into Heathrow airport get it about right – the ones in the side tunnels if you know where I mean. There is a main tunnel under the runway, about 1/4 of a mile long? With a couple of lanes in either direction but then, to either side there are additional single lane one way tunnels that are just wide enough for a car, with a wall on one side and a small wall (4 foot kerb)/railing on the other separating a footpath from the road iirc. These are also cycle lanes and the cycle lane is painted right down the centre of the roadway – there is no way to overtake a cyclists in the tunnel and the cycle lane reinforces a primary road position.

Having said that I have never seen a cyclist using either side tunnel – they are open to all traffic but you kind of have to know about them to use them, so they are mainly used by frequent visitors to the airport – ie Black Cabs and minicab drivers – so it’s just as well primary is reinforced!

suecsi

I know the ones you mean, but can imagine spending most of the time on the inbound one with a black cab up my rear end ......

The outbound one is coned off at the entrance with entry only for bikes - wish they were both like that!

Top Bottom