Cycle Leggings .. Are these the same as fitness leggings ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wbmkk

Veteran
I have cycled for many years, since getting my first racing bike when I was 12 (Carlton) I have had a few bikes since then, all racing (sorry, now referred to as road bikes) with my current one an old Raleigh Equipe.

I've never really been into the idea of wearing any special clothes, just whatever I have on at the time, or maybe a pair of normal shorts in the summer... Lycra .. certainly not.

Anyway, I have recently joined a gym in order to try and get fitter. I just wear a pair of shorts and a T-shirt for this, again, nothing fancy.

My wife has decided I should have a couple of tracksuits.

This made me think, are the 'official cycle leggings' the same as tracksuit bottoms ? .. the last time I wore a tracksuit, the bottoms were baggy and made of soft cotton.

I've seen cyclists and runners wearing bottoms which light up (OK reflect the light) which seem pretty good. I'll probably end up cycling to the gym, so they could be useful too.

What brands are good ?

thank you

beepbeep

Gym...get some 2XU compression leggings ...great bit of kit...

search the sales for bargains and you can get some cheap Adidas via their online store...Also on Sportshoes.com as there sale is on now.

bladesman73

Über Member
You're not gonna like this but I use general fitness leggings, however to stop seam rub on the nethers I cut the crotch and bum bit out! I then put my bibshorts over the top. My missus saw me last week before I got the bibs on and nearly died!

I've got a new tracksuit
I wear it everyday
Keeps me cool and casual
I wore it yesterday.

Expert eyes have scrutinised
And scientists agree
One tracksuit will suffice
But you're better off with three.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Fitness leggings are generally without pad, cycling leggings generally have a pad.
You can get some unpadded cycle wear too, like some Altura leggings I've got.
I don't wear padded on the bike, so I'm always on the lookout for fitness leggings without seam, or similar seamless leg wear that can't get caught in the chain.
Check the picture carefully if you buy on line: yoga, running bottoms are usually seamless, track suit bottoms are not.
Something like this would be good both on the bike and the gym.

Globalti

Legendary Member
You need a pair of Ron Hill Tracksters.

To answer your specific questions....

Track suit bottoms and or tops are different to cycling or gym bottoms commonly referred to as leggings.

The difference between cycling and running or other sports leggings are that cycling ones are padded.

Since you only use ordinary track suite bottom for your general cycling, ordinary leggings (without padding) should be OK for you.

They are lycra. What I like them is that they are comfortable. You may like them. By the way, you can buy shorts on the same principle.
I don't spend lots of money on these things. I have couple Karrimore leggings from Sports Direct that I have used for nearly 5 years without any problem. Its about £25 a pair. Or you can get it from Decathlon.

Top Bottom