Cycle Like You Drive

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I think its time some cyclists learn to respect the difficulties Cars are challenged with. Obey Traffic Rules and life will be sweeter. Is that too much to ask I wonder?

Gary E

Veteran
:popcorn:

AndyRM

XOXO
I'm sure there's something about looking in mirrors and pots and kettles that is relevant...

classic33

Leg End Member
[QUOTE 2467387, member: 30090"]What difficulties?[/quote]You know.
Things like getting from A to B, as quick as you like(if not quicker), without other road users slowing you down.

classic33

Leg End Member
Forgot to mention, I can't drive. So over the years any behind the wheel activity has taken place on either private roads/land. And if I were to cycle like I drive, one of two things would happen.
1. Biggest tailbacks seen on local roads
OR
2. No-one but me on the road.

I think I'll stick to cycling, if its all the same to you.

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
I think its time some cyclists learn to respect the difficulties Cars are challenged with. Obey Traffic Rules and life will be sweeter. Is that too much to ask I wonder?
Actually it isnt difficult. During my period of learning to drive recently, I arrived behind a cyclist on the way home from Sainsbury's with my dad. I waited behind the guy through a pinch point and around a left hand turn.
I then went through this procedure to overtake him:
  1. Check mirrors and blind spot.
  2. Indicate right.
  3. Check mirrors again.
  4. Speed up and move onto the other side of the road (entire car on other side of road).
  5. Pass cyclist.
  6. Check left mirrors and blind spot.
  7. Indicate left and move back in when safely past cyclist.
  8. Check mirrors again to see location of cyclist.
I carried on driving for a while when suddenly the cyclist came charging out of the side street causing me to brake hard. He didnt even look. Clearly me giving him plenty of space didnt even trigger a thought of thanks in his head. The cyclist will kill himself one day if he keeps pulling out of junctions without looking.

Overtaking a cyclist isnt hard. There is nothing challenging about it and therefore no excuse for poor driving standards. And yet every month I upload a "Close Pass Compilation" on YT if about 20 people overtaking me with insufficient room. Its just laziness.

veloevol

Evo Lucas
I have to disagree with the OP. Based on my personal experience and having checked my database of naughty cyclists. People on bikes are really nice 'drivers'. The evidence says so.

Top Bottom